Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by JoefromPhilly

• Sail Date: Dec 2010
  • Destination: the Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony

First the bad news. The trip got shortened by one day due to a crane incident in a dry dock. Unfortunately, a decision was made to skip Nassau and just go to Port Canaveral and their private island. Unless you are taking an excursion somewhere in Port Canaveral, or plan to rent a car, there is not much to do there. The private island is really a joke. More on that later.

Now the good news. The food service and quality was top-notch. The restaurants are very nicely done. The menu in the two free restaurants has enough variety, including appetizers, soup, main courses and desert. The coffee was hot and very good. Even in the buffet, the food was very good, with enough choices for almost anyone. I had fresh omelets and eggs done the way I want. There is fresh fruit, french toast, waffles, and much, much more. Lunch buffets included excellent skirt steak, carved rack of lamb, and tons of other food. You get juice and iced tea for free, but pay two bucks for soda.

In the main restaurants, the wait service was excellent. Cloth napkins were placed on our laps, water was brought out, and the menus were handed to us. The food was hot, tasty and done right. We ate in two specialty restaurants, Chin Chin and Teppenyaka. The prices were $15 and $25, and well worth it! Everything that me and my fiance ordered was excellent, and we know a thing or two about eating out. We even got to come back after a show to have desert and coffee, as we had to leave to get a good seat.

The maid service was fantastic. Everyone was polite, and the guy who did my room would always call me by my name. The staff looked like they were there to serve you and take care of you. I never had one problem the whole cruise with any of the staff. They brought ice to my room at least twice a day. the beds were turned down in the evening. The bed was clean and very comfortable. We slept with no problems. The entertainment was top notch, with a comedian, an entertainment magician, musical shows and more. Some of the staff even performed on the last day. The Spinnaker night club was a great place to party, and they had some fun adult-themed games. We did bring in some alcohol into the room, poured in things like saline solution bottles, a mouthwash bottle and a cough medicine bottle. I bought a bottle of wine in Cocoa Beach and put it in my carry on bag, and it cleared security (x ray machine). The ship is very modern looking inside, and well-staffed. I don't understand all the complaining. No one bothers you, you eat well and get treated well. As first time cruisers, we will indeed come back on this ship! We hated to leave. If you are going to go in the winter however, keep in mind that when you are out at sea, the wind over the deck makes it too chilly to do much outside until you get down south. The pools are heated, and the hot tubs are fun.

The private island does not have much to do. The barbecue is very good, but other than that, you either just sit on chairs or go in the water and perhaps snorkle. They have some family fun games, however, but charge $5 a pop for the large hippo slide (or $20 for a wrist band). In Port Canaveral, we rented a car to do what we wanted. They pick you up at the port and drop you off. If you want to laugh your ass off, book this cruise, and take in all the entertainment in the theater and lounge.

JoefromPhilly's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BA 10074

We fit two large suitcases under the bed. We had enough room to hold all our stuff. The shower was hot, but if you are large in the butt, you may have a tough time in the toilet section! The thermostat worked well. We were on the 10th floor, starboard, and really enjoyed the room. Not large, but big enough for its purpose. Not much to watch on TV. You have Fox News, MSNBC, ESPN, a couple kids channels, ship-based channels, and a couple channels that show old shows. No clock in the room either. Internet access costs $100 for 250 minutes, or $55 for 100 minutes.

Port Canaveral (Orlando)

There is nothing to do here, other than to go to Cocoa Beach, or rent a car and go somewhere else. Many people go to Orlando with an excursion, but that can be expensive. It is cheaper to rent a car for $40 and drive to Orlando and purchase tickets to your theme park of choice.

JoefromPhilly