3. Carnival Sensation
Background Information: Wife and I are in our early 40's, with 4 children 12 to 18, and have now completed 7 cruises. We take one vacation a year without children, this was it for 2010. We sailed the 3 days cruise last Thanksgiving on the Sensation, but decided it was too short of a getaway considering a 7 hour drive. Travel To Port of Embarkation: We drove 7 hours from near Athens, GA. Travel back on the Sunday after thanksgiving was 9.5 hours! Pre-Cruise Hotel: We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn at Cape Canaveral. It is very convenient to the port and has very nice accommodations. The breakfast is very good for a motel. Port of Embarkation: We arrived into Cape Canaveral around 2:30, and went to Grill's for lunch. Grill's Restaurant and Tiki Bar is located in a area called The Cove. You can eat and drink while watching the boat traffic cruise past. We also ate dinner at Rusty's which is located at the cove. For our taste, Rusty's had a much more pleasing Dinner menu. We shopped for our children's souvenirs at Ron Jons, then left them locked in the car at the cruise port. Ship Info: The ship looks worn in many places. The crew was very helpful, always smiling, and always willing to help. We stayed in 2 Separate cabins, one mini suite on Verandah for 4 days, and the second sailing of 3 days on Riveria deck. We were treated exceptionally well in both places. The casino took about $300 of my money over the 7 days. Plenty of photographers to take your pictures, for the first time, we did not buy any. Also a first, I never saw the Captain, usually, I have seen the Captain at some point of my cruise, but never once during these sailings. Maybe we should have went to the Captain's Celebration? Activities On Board: We enjoyed both of the main shows, Curves & Far From Over. The comedy clubs were fun to us as well, we seen both the family and adult only shows. All the musicians on board seemed talented and entertaining. I must point this out; FOOTBALL in the SOUTH! Carnival should pay attention to this. The last football weekend on the season, FLA State vs FLA; GA vs GA Tech; Auburn vs ALA etc. . . . None of these games were shown on the ship because the satellite feed is out of Colorado, therefore only western games could be viewed. There were many many complaints. A first for us was the liquor tasting, they should call this, Pressure Liquor Sales. Service: Bar service was as exceptional as always! Shout out to Keshore by the sea shore! who kept a full Miller Lite bottle handy. Bar tab for the 7 days was $588.00. Wife had the soda sticker for both cruises. Because of our back to back sailing's, we were escorted off the ship, thru customs, signed into our new cabins, and escorted right back on the ship. VERY EASY! Please know that there is nothing to do for a couple of hours. The ship personnel is preparing for the incoming guest. We sat on Lido, texting, talking on our cell phones, and watching the busy crew. Port & Shore Excursions: We enjoy the bumming around feeling, therefore, we don't normally book excursions, and was the case with both of theses sailings. This was our first trip to Freeport, and after reading other reviews, we left the ship and went directly to Billy Joe's Restaurant and Bar. I loved it there! I would do it again. We stopped in the Casino at My Lucaya on our way out, broke even! The next day in Nassau, and on our 3 day sailing back to Nassau, we hung out at Arawak Cay. We like the area, and its not near as crowded as the port area. On our first stop in Nassau, we took a cab to Atlantis in the evening time. This was our first time to Atlantis after sailing to Nassau 5 previous times. The Aquarium was neat, but we probably wont go back. The whole cab experience was enough to turn us off. Stateroom: Mini Suite -V30- It is nice to have the couch, and a larger TV, just to sit back and relax a little while the wife is getting ready was a little extra perk. The balcony is too small, my wife relaxed out there some, she had to sit sideways, but better then no balcony at all. Riveria Deck, R186, just the normal cabin, with a window. I resumed back to the normal waiting on my wife at the Atrium Bar before dinner in the evenings. Both cabins were very comfortable for us. We have no complaints. Dining: We enjoy all aspects of Carnival dinning. We ate some meals in each location. Outside Lido, Inside Buffet on Lido, Main Dinning room, Sushi Bar, etc. . . . For the most part, everything was good. Thanksgiving was also my wife's birthday, so the wait staff in the main dinning room sang happy birthday, and presented her with a slice of cake and a candle burning. My favorite meal is probably the Prime Rib. Never ate a sandwich or pizza, but did have ice cream nearly every night before retiring to the cabin. 2 of the 7 nights we had a salad from the Lido salad bar for dinner. Again, I think Carnival does a good job with the food offerings and dinning experience. Disembarkation: I've got one thing to say . . . EASY! Compared to Mobile last February, this was a piece of cake. We finished breakfast in the main dinning room at 7:45am, by 8:15 we were leaving the parking lot in our car. Excellent job! Summary: We enjoyed the Sensation, it is a little dated, looks a tad worn, but over all, it did the job. Understand, we sailed this ship back to back sailings, for a total of 7 days. The total 7 day cruise cost, due to it being Thanksgiving week, more then our 7 day cruise in Alaska on the Spirit last July. We would not do this again. Our original time frame and schedule changed, opening up for the additional 3 days. If we had known we had 7 days at the time of our original booking, we would have sailed a different ship and itinerary.

B2B Birthday & Thanksgiving Cruise

Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by markntara

• Sail Date: November 2010
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Junior Suite (obstructed views)
Background Information: