3. Independence of the Seas
Hotel Info We chose to stay at The DeVere Grand Harbour Hotel before sailing - found it easy for carparking - we did not book this with RCCL though. Ship Info All I can say is wow! This ship really does have the wow factor. The Royal Promenade looks like something out of a new shopping centre! For smokers there are a number of locations to choose from; There is the open deck on decks 4, 11 and 12; The Labyrinth (night club on deck 4) and Connoisseur Club on deck 5 as well as your balcony if you have one. Activities There was always a lot going on - check your cruise compass every day to make sure you don't miss anything! Steve the activity's manager was a little to "PG" for our liking - some of the game shows (starting after 10) had children in them so some of the fun was lost. Make sure you don't miss "The Quest" and "The love and marriage" game shows. Service In one word - Fantastic! I have to mention a 2 people here. 1. G (Gunwan) who was the bar man in The Connoisseur Club - the best service I have ever had anywhere in the world ever! 2. Stephanie one of the photographers - Took some amazing photos and we had a lot of fun. All the crew I spoke to were amazing! Port & Shore Excursions This is one of few bad comments I have. We booked an excursion in Madeira which was advertised has having 40 - 50 steps. It had over 300! We were still able to take the tour but a few people on our bus weren't - My advised is if you must book an excursion just double check the number of steps with them before you book. Stateroom Our stateroom was more spacious that I expected. It was always clean and our cabin attendant always made the animals our of towels. Dining We only ate in the main dining room a few times - not because it was bad but because we were a little full from lunch! The food quality was good but isn't as good as it was a few years ago. Chops Grill I recommend but be sure not to eat for a day before had - the steaks they do are massive! Make sure you have room for the chocolate mud cake - I'd pay $25 just to eat that! The Windjammer or as some of our fellow guests called in the people jammer also offered good food. The only complaint I have is that the order in which the food is placed in - i.e battered fish on one stand and the chips and mussy peas on another. Also the food was sometimes incorrectly labeled. Entertainment Mixed. Some of the guest entertainers were amazing - some were average. One of the "comedians" was just not funny! The production shows with the Royal Caribbean singers and dancers were fantastic. The Ice show was not to our liking - we had to que for around an hour one morning to get tickets and we ended up walking out part way through as we found the show repetitive and the skaters did fall a lot. Some other guests did enjoy the show a lot though. Disembarkation Seamed organised enough although a lot earlier than previous cruises I have done. We were in the last group to leave and did so at 09.15. There was a long que at customs.

The best cruise yet!

Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by Richard Edwards

Hotel Info

Ship Info

All I can say is wow! This ship really does have the wow factor.

The Royal Promenade looks like something out of a new shopping centre!

Activities

Make sure you don't miss "The Quest" and "The love and marriage" game shows.

In one word - Fantastic! I have to mention a 2 people here.

All the crew I spoke to were amazing!

Port & Shore Excursions

Stateroom

Disembarkation

Richard Edwards’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas price drops

Good location. Only downside it on street party nights as you are very close to the Promenade so it can be noisy.
  Independence of the Seas Deck Plans