• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Papajohn79
First Time Cruiser • Age 50s

Sail Date: Sep 2010
Cabin: Interior Stateroom

This was our first cruise (my girl friend and I) booked by my parents for their 50th anniversary and included my three siblings with respective spouses. This was on Liberty of the Seas, September 12-19 and covered the Western Caribbean (Haiti, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel).

The ship was quite spectacular, especially never having been on a cruise ship before and the process for boarding was steamlined and efficient. Once on board, however, the entire week felt like a floating time-share presentation. We first decided to tour the fitness center and ended up getting an hour-long sell job on all the spa's service$ such as thermowraps, massages, acupuncture, facial dermabrasion, hot rock treatments, teeth whitening, gym boot camp, body detoxification, etc... ranging in cost of $100 - $300+ each. We never did get a tour or demonstration of the fitness equipment - which is all we desired. Throughout the week, there were daily sales of merchandise (watches, jewelry, wallets, etc..)on the main deck and in places most people passed by (Windjammers or the pool deck) and demonstrations on how to buy diamonds.

Many of the other travelers were rude. I am used to hearing the term "rude Americans", however us Americans accounted for about 25% of the cruisers on board so that was not the case. The first day we ate in Windjammer, it was packed due to a rain squall which drove everyone indoors. I overheard a gal at the next table to me during lunch complain to her counterpart about the rude people so I chimed in. She is a seasoned cruiser and mentioned this was the first time she encountered such a rude bunch.

Interior Stateroom

Cabin K

Laid out very well for the space, utilized every nook and cranny, location good - pretty central to the essential places.

Port Reviews

Grand Cayman (Georgetown)

My first time to GC was in 1992 and that was for one week. It is a great island with good people. The cruise ship experience there was horrible. There is just enough time to stay huddled with the crowds in the shopping center or the beach, then you have to get back on the ship. A beach attendant requested $25 just to sit in a recliner on the beach! We chose to instead sit at the bar just behind then paid $50 for one drink each and a small appetizer. Lame. You can't enjoy Cayman on a port of call. Sorry.

Our first stop was Haiti (Labadee). It is a cruise ship owned corner of the island that is secluded. It was pleasant, but you don't get to see real Haiti on this stop.

Cozumel

Rent a scooter or car and get to the south side of the island. It is more secluded and the beaches are amazing.

Ocho Rios

Skip the Dunns River. It is overly crowded and a tourist trap. The falls are pretty, but when you try to share it with thousands of other cruise ship folk, it isn't pretty.

Find a Liberty of the Seas Cruise from $249