3. Statendam
We sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale on Oct. 15th. Weather was hot and humid in the Caribbean. Should have taken a later cruise. Missed Aruba due to a medical emergency, so we ended up in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. Bad port, but a great save given the emergency. Canal transit was great. Puerto Caldera in Costa Rica is marginal. Tours were expensive and little to see. Next port was Puerto Huatulco, Mexico. Great port, built by the Mexican tourist agency. Clean, safe, etc. We SHOULD HAVE STAYED HERE OVERNIGHT INSTEAD OF GOING ON TO ACAPULCO. They dug up a grave with 20 bodies in Acapulco the day after we left. Acapulco is the worst that Mexico has to offer tourists. Get a clue Holland America.

On to Cabo. Great port. We should have stayed here overnight. If Holland America wants return passengers, they need to cut out the old ports that have gone to pot and spend overnight at the clean, new ports. I get the feeling that the people that schedule the port calls, have not been on the ships in a couple of years. It would have been nice if we would have done about 12 knots up to San Diego, so the dolphins and whales could be seen. The SHORT port stays and the full speed ahead between ports was detrimental to the whole trip.

The staff were fantastic. Very good crew all the way around. Loved the entertainment; top class. Clean ship. Good food.

I have to express my admiration for the Captain. When the helicopter came out of Nassau to pick up the sick passenger, he had all of the ship's emergency staff in full emergency gear in case the helicopter crashed on the fore deck. Shit happens when you least expect it! The crew was highly trained in fire control and full emergency control. Having worked on a passenger ship for five years, I really liked seeing the training that was evident in the crew.

I would definitely sail with this captain and crew again.

Nice, Average Cruise

Statendam Cruise Review by lukeaa

I would definitely sail with this captain and crew again.

lukeaa’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Vista Suite with Verandah
Cabin B 133
133 was nicely located, but the A/C was not working very well. Though they checked us very day, they never go it over 77 degrees. But, the gave us a $350 credit for our putting up with it.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins