• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

First Time Cruiser • Age 40s

Sail Date: Aug 2010
Cabin: Family Oceanview Porthole
Traveled with children

This was our second time on the NCL Spirit from Boston to Bermuda, but this time we cruised with our 3 young kids (6, 7, and 8). My parents were also on the cruise in a balcony cabin. Overall, it was still a good experience, but not without some problems.

Embarkation: After a lot of concern about whether Hurricane Danielle would wipe out our cruise plans, we proceed from upstate NY to the Black Falcon Terminal in Boston. Parking was easy. Checking bags, customs, lining up--it was all smooth and better organized than last year. We were on the ship by 11:15 and eating lunch in Windows by 12.

Cabin: We were in an Oceanview cabin on Deck 4 (the only one that accommodates 4 people. My son had to stay in my parents cabin.) Thats one shortcoming with NCL: not enough options for families to stay in one stateroom without breaking the bank on a suite. The cabin was large enough for the four of us, with the bunk and pull out sofa. I don't see why they don't do this in balcony or picture window rooms. The room was not nearly as clean as it could have been, and I found that was the fault of our steward Sony (more on him later.)

Family Oceanview Porthole