3. Celebrity Millennium
We took the southbound Millennium on August 13th. We embarked Seward in the rain, but were very lucky, other than a half day of rain in Ketchikan, we had great weather. We arrived in Anchorage at noon on the day of the cruise. We were picked up at the airport by a van and taken to the little bus station (a storefront) , we had booked the bus trip to Seward with Seward bus company. The bus was clean and ontime, although the driver did not offer any commentary or point out any landmarks on the 3 hour trip, which was a bit of a disappointment. We arrived at the cruise ship dock at 5:30pm. There was a small line which moved quickly and we were onboard within 1/2 hour. Our cabin was 7199 a corner port side family veranda and it was great! Huge balcony which we used a lot , plenty of storage , the living room, which had two pullout couches ,and the bedroom had a sliding door between the two. The balcony had a table , four chairs and four lounge chairs as well. Perfect. The food: This was a hit and miss situation. While the food in the main dining room was always good and our server and asst. server were great, there was not one dish that had a WOW factor. The morning buffet was good, with all the usual breakfast items, but no variety , pretty much the same everyday. And the way they have the tables set up, is terrible. You have to access the tables through a narrow walkway in each section, which is tough when it is busy. also, all of the drink stations were NEVER open, even in the crowded periods, the stations would be out of coffee or the juice machine was closed...very annoying. At lunch they had a variety of items pizza, pasta, burgers and hot dogs by the pool. At 5:30pm they had sushi and Asian stir fry , pizza and pasta this went until 9:30 after that NOTHING, unless you ordered room service. This ship did not have a regular dinner buffet, only the above items. On our last night we decided to just eat at the buffet for dinner, no one even bused our dirty plates, you were on your own. And when they say closed at 9:30, they mean it! As you can tell this is a sore spot with me. We have been on many cruises and although we never went hungry, I was less than impressed with the food on this ship. I really expected more, my mistake. The ports: We cruised the Hubbard Glacier which was fantastic, the captain got us really close 4 tenths of a mile. We saw some wonderful calving. Next stop was Juneau. Here and in Skagway we rented cars. The excursions are quite pricey , unlike the Caribbean or Mexico, where you can find a bargain. In Juneau we drove to the Mendenhall Glacier, hiked back to the waterfall. Went to the brewery where my husband listened to the talk and had free beer. We drove around, went to Douglas Island, had GREAT JUMBO king crab legs at Tracy's crab shack. In skagway, we had the car and drove the yukon highway to Emerald Lake, beautiful drive. Stopped at the dog sled camp near Carcross, rode the dog sleds, and held the puppies. This was fun. Only wish the ride had been longer. In Icy strait point (hoonah), we went on a bear watching trip with Keith from tekk outfitters. Had a great time, saw bears and learned so much about the area. In Ketchikan we took the Deadliest catch boat excursion, this was also alot of fun. On our last day at sea we saw a large pod of Orca Whales in the inside passage. Nightlife: Basically none after 11pm. Since we had late dinner, the shows were either at 7pm before dinner or a couple were 10:45 after dinner. Unlike most cruises we have been on , other than the show or another event in the Cosmos lounge there is nothing going on in any of the other clubs or bars after 11pm. This was a huge disappointment. Speakers: The naturalist Milos was fantastic. great informative and funny speaker. Kids: Or I should say lack of kids. Our boys are 17 & 18 years old. We saw, maybe a few other teens of their age, and a handful of 13-15 year olds and that was it. There was nothing at all for them to do. There was shuffleboard, a basketball court with two semi flat balls. There was a golf net, but no equipment, and a indoor ping pong table, which you could never get on, since every child and teen on the ship was in there. When people tell you Celebrity is focused on the adults...believe them ! I wish I had! even in the middle of summer break, they didn't do anything to try an accommodate the kids onboard. We swam in the pools and the therapy pool, although they could not seem to get the temperatures regulated, either they were to hot or to cool. Overall, Alaska is beautiful. I would not recommend going unless you are prepared and willing to pay high cost of the tours. I just couldn't see spending $1000 for my family of four to go on float plane trip in addition to the cost of the cruise and airfare. Also, I would advise against Celebrity for teens, kids or adults who want a little night life.

Celebrity with teenagers

Ages 16+
Get Celebrity Millennium price drops

Family Ocean View with Balcony
Cabin FV 7199
7199 perfect location, corner portside. Perfect for a family.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins