3. Splendour of the Seas
After having cruised 6 times within the past year, I feel like somewhat of a professional at the cruise experience. I had sailed this Western Mediterranean itinerary before with another cruise line, and booked this cruise for my husband, myself, and my 9 year old. Unfortunately, she was the only one of us to truly enjoy her cruise experience. Since there is so little good to say about my cruise with RCI, I will list the few positive things I have to say here. The embarkation/disembarkation is extremely well organized. The selection of tours provided through RCI, is both extensive and well organized. The price of the cruise, when done through an internet agency, was fairly reasonable. My child was thoroughly entertained by the animation staff in the kids' club. They did an excellent job, and I thought they really offered a lot of different activities for kids. Unfortunately, this is the extent of my positive commentary on this "cruise experience." I wish I could say more positive things about this trip. I will say NEVER AGAIN on RCI for me. The food was horrific. When others have said, "Denny's is better" I must concur. My husband notes that the soups were either "bouillon cube" or of the canned variety, depending on the night. The gala dinners were a joke, with salmon being a "gala" option. Every night the waiter directed us toward the one dinner option that he believed to be the best of the worst. He even went so far as to ask us not to take the bad quality of the food out on his evaluation (and "tip"), and he seemed genuinely embarrassed when presenting us with each evening's menu. Several members of the wait staff spoke to us candidly about how every week, with the falling valuation of the dollar against the Euro, the food suppliers were being changed, and therefore, the quality of the food was deteriorating as the price of the dollar went down. One staff member even said, and I quote, "If your food is bad, imagine what we are eating." This is a disgrace, and if the dollar is so low, perhaps they should think about increasing the price to reflect the cost so that their customers may enjoy the cruise. I would gladly have paid more to avoid the feeling of being nickeled and dimed to death at every juncture. Moreover, there was such a complete lack of activities such that I was completely bored. I do not consider art auctions, bingo, and slot machine contests to be the be all and end all of cruising. Some of us don't want to pay for every activity on the boat. I have never been so disappointed. I finished a whole book of almost 300 pages on this cruise (a record read for me). There was no staff member exclusively dedicated to animations/activities (e.g. not enough trivia, contests, and other games. Things that were scheduled often had no one to lead them-- e.g. the bridge tournament and two scheduled pool parties never took place). There was one French lesson given by the only decent cruise member on the boat, but it was the only activity worth attending, and was limited to one night even though we had 2 ports of call in France. Had I known there would be no activities, I would have booked a larger room. Our room was an inside stateroom, and because we had the two twin beds pushed together the ladder did not fit correctly into the drop down bed (requiring my daughter to climb up into the bed in a strange contortionist fashion). I had never before spent so much time on a cruise in my room in front of the television. Perhaps worse than the bad food and the lack of things to do, was the outright seething rage that seemed to percolate amongst the staff toward the passengers. I even heard one bus girl in the Windjammer Cafe say, "I am not going to clean that up. I can't believe what pigs these customer's are!" Hey lady, if you are too good to clean up people's plates---News flash--Find another job. I cannot describe the disappointment I had with regards to RCI. Save your money and cruise with someone else in the Mediterranean.

Splendour of the Seas - Western Mediterranean