• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Norwegian Jewel Review

Editor Rating
16 Awards

A Norwegian jewel with no shine!

Review for Norwegian Jewel to the Western Caribbean
nathb189
First Time Cruiser • Age 50s

Sail Date: Apr 2010
Cabin: Balcony

This was our 7Th cruise. We already had been on Carnival 4 times, and once on RC and Princess, all of them very nice.This trip was the longest, 13 nights! Embarkation was fine and quick enough. Once we got on board that is when we started noticing the differences. First of all, service. Not good, room service was often late, we usually left early and came back late and still the room was not done. As for getting our clean towels every night, that was just a dream...

Customer service at the front desk was OK, were it was not was at the excursion desk, they looked so angry and p...ed off at everybody, I thought this was probably there last cruise before there time-off but no! they still had many months to go! I confided in other guest and they all had the same impression. But this was not just an excursion desk problem but pretty much all people with positions (higher up the food chain) but not the servers, greeters etc.

As for Food, it was OK, once you got at it. The main buffet room was not well though of. Not enough chair to sit down, and if you had forgotten something, it was a long way back which was sometimes ridiculous with all the older crowd. As for the restaurants, well the food was good but the nickel and dime thing was not my cup of tea. To ask for 25$ additional for a restaurant is OK but to ask for more money when ordering lobster in the menu is really bad. It did sound to me like desperation and no class.

Balcony

Port Reviews

Cozumel

We took the ferry and crossover to Playa del Carmen. I recommend it very much. The ocean was blue and calm and they redid the beach. Could not ask for anything more. Good shopping and a beautiful beach. We liked it so much, we are going back for 2 weeks in October.

Belize City

We did an excursion organised by the ship, Cave tubbing and jungle. One of the greatest excursion my husband and I did, but you have to be in shape. You must be able to walk a half an hour transporting your own tub and not be afraid of confined and dark places. It was incredible and worth every penny. The caves are very dark so no claustrophobic people please but lots of fun.

Roatan

We decided this time to try a private tour with the Victor Bodden tour which had a reasonable price. It was pretty good day, we did the beach, the botanical garden and a little shopping. Be careful with the shopping because the place were they bring you has incredible nice stuff (leather, wood mahogany) but the prices are very very expensive. Unless you are really happy with the price you are able to have, dont buy there. Get closer to the boat, you will get cheaper prices and stuff.

Aruba

Aruba! Just one of the greatest place I've been. The most beautiful beaches (Palm beach and Eagle Beach) and the nicest people. Easy shopping,everything you need (3rd time a charm).

Curacao

Curacao is small but impressive. We did the guided tour again with the boat (can't complain on the tours!)and took in all the history which was very interesting if you are into this. We visited the slavery museum, the old downtown and the bridge. This island is different from others, it has a personality all its own. It worth discovering. If you go, try to bring back smoked Gouda cheese, curacao and the pistachio liqueur! Its good! Linens and things are also a good find.

Tortola

This was our second time here and we were not looking forward to it because last time we were here we did the 'Bath' and that was boring. So this time we tried another excursion with the boat. We went to a out of way little beach called Brewers bay which was excellent! Quiet, peaceful and beautiful calm. I would go back anytime!

Find a Norwegian Jewel Cruise from $468