Marina Review

unable/unwilling to deal with dietary requirements

Review for the British Isles & Western Europe Cruise on Marina
Sleepy Cat
6-10 Cruises • Age 50s

Value for Money
Family

Sail Date: May 2024

Ship straight out of partial refit. Poor rating due to food issues, especially bad given its sells itself as best cuisine at sea. No mention of special diets (no/low salt, kosher/halal, no/low sugar etc). Tinned fruit in syrup for breakfast, so much added salt to veg, including hummus that it became inedible. No vegetarian or vegan menus. Some nights no vegetarian option at all, just one vegan, although notified of vegetarian pre cruise and confirmed on embarkation. Aquamar is good for lunch, though I was served chicken and told that was what I'd ordered (lifelong vegetarian). I also got baba ganoush 4 days running when I asked for hummus, only to find they didn't have baba ganoush on the menu nor hummus in the kitchen (not sure how that happens but after pointing it out on the 4th day it stopped coming). Shame as it was better than the hummus). MANY instances of cross contamination, with same utensils to serve meat, fish, veg, hot and cold. Reported repeatedly verbally and in writing after a few days. Management did not contact me, they were not interested. One of the 2 maitre d' we spoke to were rude. Spoilt what was an otherwise good cruise. Far too expensive for such bad service. Some of the staff were great and the boat was nice but our cruise was an expensive disappointment.

Service in the main dining room was very slow (allow at least 2 hours for dinner). That means that unless you want to be at the dining room at 6pm then you are not going to see the evening show. The two we saw in full were good. We gave up on specialist restaurants after rude maitre d' in one and twice getting service wrong in the Italian (including on our wedding anniversary when they gave our cake to the table next to us). I paid for more than pasta with tomato which was my last meal. Finally - beware of bacon in ice-cream. I kid you not! A lasting impression, but not for the right reasons.

previous reviewnext review

Find a Marina Cruise from $2,025

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.