Norwegian Viva Review

Great cruise and lovely ship

Review for the Eastern Mediterranean Cruise on Norwegian Viva
SteveRu
6-10 Cruises • Age 50s

Value for Money
Family

Sail Date: May 2024

Far from flawless but significantly better than most reviews suggest.

We were on a 10 day cruise out of Athens and had only one sea day. Visiting Turkey, Greece, Sicily, Italy and France.

Boarding in Athens was straightforward but not by any means quick. The "processing centre" was crowded and very tight on space. Once through security it was straight up the gangway and onto the ship.

Port Reviews

Florence (Livorno)

Florence was beautiful. We did an "on your own" excursion. Truly the day was one of the highlights of the cruise. An amazing city.

Istanbul

We booked the Byzantine tour. We struck gold by having an incredible tour guide. We were impressed by Istanbul and it was wonderful that the ship literally docks in the city! The city was buzzing and I'd definitely re-visit Istanbul for an extended visit in the future.

Mykonos

Mykonos was also my 50th Birthday. We loved this place. Tendering was speedier than Santorini but still not the best. The island was very traversable but we stuck to Mykonos town. Great bars, fantastic views and lovely little cobbled streets. What a great day.

Naples

Naples itself was a bit rough around the edges but by God what an amazing energy. We also did Sorrento, and that was beautiful. The views on the way from Naples to Sorrento were picture postcard perfect. Top Tip? Get a window seat on the right hand side of the coach if you want to get the best views.

Santorini

Awful. Honestly, just awful. I am sure that Santorini as a holiday destination is wonderful, but this should not be on any cruise ship Itinerary. 1hr Queue for the tender, 2hr queue for the cable car, streets overcrowded, another 1hr queue to go back down and then another 1hr queue for the tender back. It also rained! Honestly, it was just awful and I would never get off the ship if I was on another cruise that visited this island.

Taormina (Messina)

We booked the wrong tour in my opinion. 4hr round trip to Mt Etna to spend 30 minutes looking at a rather unimpressive crater. I'm sure the island is lovely, but we just messed up by booking a tour we all wish we hadn't.

Villefranche

Spectacular port. Incredible views, very efficient tendering and a 15 minute taxi ride to Nice. We skipped Monaco as I've been before, and it's actually quite underwhelming. Nice was lovely and although we only had a few hours in port we made the most of it. My only wish was that this was a departure later in the evening.

Rome (Civitavecchia)

So we extended and did two nights in Rome. Over two days I walked over 55km. The City is probably one of the most amazing that I've ever visited and we only scratched the surface in terms of what we saw. Can't wait to come back here.

9 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Norwegian Viva Cruise from $1,084

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.