Celebrity Millennium Review

I wish the other passengers were shipped back home

Review for Asia Cruise on Celebrity Millennium
tippycupcakes
2-5 Cruises • Age 40s

Value for Money
Family

Sail Date: May 2024
Traveled with children

We booked this once-in-a-lifetime trip to celebrate our 10 yr anniversary and because we both have always wanted to visit Japan since we were kids. I thought this would be a good "sample" as our first time since I am celiac and wasn't sure what I could and couldn't eat on mainland.

Let me start by saying that the cruise itself was fantastic. The crew - amazing. The food - delicious (and big shout out to Cafe del Bacio for having gluten free cake every day and lavender coffee syrup!!) I was always able to find an abundance of food I could eat due to Celebrity's knowledge of allergens/intolerances and labeling of everything from the MDR to the Ocean View Cafe. The room - not bad considering the age of the ship. We had an ocean view room at the ship's forward and didn't really deal with too much rocking on normal days (there was one day when we were on our way to Shimizu which was rollicking, to say the least... thank glob for dramamine!) It was pretty quiet where we were for the most part. All in all, no complaints from me.

Japan itself is AMAZING. It completely lived up to our very high expectations! We did not do any shore excursions and instead chose to bum around and experience daily life for the citizens of Japan. What a treat to be around these people! Everyone we encountered was polite, friendly, and kept to themselves (except for one rowdy drunk in Dotobori but she was having a good time and ran away after yelling something in our general direction!) I would not visit South Korea (Busan) again, the only reason being that they have no knowledge of celiac disease and use wheat in everything. I was able to snag a bunch of sunscreen and face masks for super cheap though!

Port Reviews

Aormori

Way more fun than I thought it would be! We took a cab to Don Quixote and the main shopping district and got some awesome souvenirs.

Hakodate

Not too much to do here. We just walked around the area and visited the morning market and a few conbinis.

Hiroshima

Kind of a trek to get there but the Atomic Bomb Dome and Peace Museum were a must-see. We met a wonderful volunteer tour guide named Mashi who was 3 yrs old when the bomb dropped. He told us all about his family and how much they suffered afterwards. It was heart-breaking but incredibly powerful.

Kobe

Took a taxi to Mega Don Quixote and started to get sick halfway through (later found out I had norovirus and/or gastroenteritis) so I was pretty delirious. We totally missed everything we wanted to do here.

Osaka

Went to Nara park, Dotonbori, and the Osaka aquarium! Missed out on Kyoto because we were sick.

Pusan (Kyongju)

Kind of confusing and very chaotic. Took the subway to the underground mall and got a ton of skincare for cheap. Left early as there wasn't much else to do.

13 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Celebrity Millennium Cruise from $1,170

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.