Norwegian Dawn Review

GCST
2-5 Cruises • Age 40s

Value for Money

Sail Date: May 2024

I was a last minute solo traveler, scoring a good deal on the NCL website. My last NCL cruise was in late 2019, so I had some basis of comparison regarding my 2019 NCL cruise on the Joy and this 2024 cruise on the Dawn.

The Dawn seemed to be lacking in staff members. I saw crew members stretched really thin in both the restaurant and on board activities areas. They are also trying to monetize everything so they advertise a show or activity in the daily calender and upon arrival you find out there is a participation fee. There was one (lousy!) comedian who did 2 shows total; one underwhelming 'Elements' show with 2 shows (also saw this show on the Joy, it was much better). The single house band was good, the two female singers were average and I wouldn't go out of my way to see either one. 4 daily activities were Trivia and occasional offerings like origamy, line dancing or karaoke where your fellow guests were providing the free entertainment.

Once you pay for a cruise, it is very irritating to endure the constant 'upselling' or nickel and diming, like the $40 a day charge for wifi, wifi with a timer that doesn't always work so you see your paid time evaporate and you didn't even use it. I would suggest you investigate your own phone company options for wifi. I was able to buy a 10 a day international pass from my phone carrier and I used my cell phone wifi to create a hotspot for my laptop. This may only work when you are close to a port and can get a cell tower connection, but still so much cheaper than onboard wifi.

6 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Norwegian Dawn Cruise from $802

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.