Celebrity Solstice Review

10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Value for Money
Family

Sail Date: Apr 2024

We are long time Celebrity cruisers beginning back in 2010. We do prefer the older ships to the Edge class ships as we like having separate spaces to enjoy rather than the very noisy atrium arrangement on the newer ships. That being said, the Solstice is definitely in need of refurbishment. I remember when Celebrity went through the process of what they called Solsticizing some of their older ships because at that time the Solstice was state of the art. Unfortunately, that position has definitely changed. Our cabin had definitely seen better days with very worn carpet and a dresser with a drawer front that was falling off and a bathroom drawer that had since lost the ability to slide. I understand these are nit picky things, but if Celebrity is billing itself as an upscale brand, it needs to step up. The fact that there were no outlets next to the bed shows how dated the ship is. Furniture in the public areas needs to be updated - I know why the keep the lights dim in certain areas of the ship. The furniture in the Ensemble Lounge is both old and uncomfortable.

While not directly Celebrity's fault, we did miss 2 ports on this cruise. The first missed port was definitely beyond Celebrity's control as due to weather, the authorities in Sydney closed the port and we could not depart as planned. That meant we had to give up a visit to Vanuatu. The second missed port was Lifou, New Caledonia when a passenger fell ill and the decision was made to transport him to the nearest port, Noumea, New Caledonia, with a medical facility which meant we skipped our visit to Lifou. Because of civil unrest issues in Noumea, the decision was made to not make that our port of call. What is unfortunate was that for many cruisers (including yours truly) the reason we went on this cruise was for some of the more out of the way ports which we missed. While Celebrity tried to make people happy by offering an on-board credit ($300 for balcony cabins) it certainly didn't make me feel any better. The fact that there were only 6 ports on this cruise (not counting our final destination) and we missed 2 of them, $300 is laughable. They would have been far better served by offering a future cruise credit of a more substantial amount. While not everyone would have used it, if people wanted to try again to reach those ports, Celebrity would be assured of a future customer.

Celebrity touts that it has pickleball on board its ships, but the set up is a joke. The fact that they put up an indoor net (that has seen far better days) on the basketball court and drew some lines, does not mean you have a pickleball court. The space is way too small to really play pickleball although we did try our best to make it work. There was a group on board (around a dozen people) that wanted to play despite the court limitations. When I went to guest services to request that a daily time be set aside for pickleball I was assured that it would discussed and I would get a call back. I am still waiting. I believe there were 2 times pickleball was on the schedule (both times a tournament) and that time was 4:00PM. Not the most advantageous time in the South Pacific.

Port Reviews

Apia, Samoa (formerly Western Samoa)

The people we met in Samoa were genuinely warm and friendly.

2 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Celebrity Solstice Cruise from $810

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.