Norwegian Dawn Review

Review for Africa Cruise on Norwegian Dawn
Thorper
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Mar 2024

On returning from the NCL Dawn cruise from Cape Town to Barcelona I fully intended to give an honest assessment of our time on board but on reading the reviews already on the system I found that my task had already been carried out. It gives me no pleasure than to agree almost 100% with all the adverse comments about this cruise. This was our 50th cruise and apart from a dreadful experience on Fred Olsen’s Black Watch and two occasions where we had to abandon ship this was without doubt the worst cruise we have ever taken. The only positives were very tasty orange juice at breakfast, soft bread rolls at dinner and a surfeit of sunbeds. The excursion team were rude and arrogant.As a silver customer we were due to a 10% reduction on tour costs..I had to ask staff to manually apply the reduction as obviously the IT system was not set up (deliberately?) to automatically apply his reduction. In addition the reduction was not a true 10% on my wife’s excursion. When I queried this I was advised that this was at NCL’s instruction. This resulted in being charged an extra 5 USD on each of my wife’s trips. I checked my on board account every day and found another discrepancy with the excursion charges which had to be rectified.I can imagine NCL making a huge amount on these calculations leading to a nice “windfall” profit for the company. On top of that ,charging eg around 180 USD for a two hour trip round Luanda borders on extortion. The eight hour trip around Abidjan - which we did not take - involved 18 buses holding up to 50 passengers at around 260 USD pp. Just work that lot out!

“Free at Sea” is definitely not as a 20 USD pp per day was applied for “services “

Perhaps the most appaling aspect to us was the evening dress code in the Venetian restaurant. We were disgusted to see passengers wearing flip flops , shorts , tee shirts and flat caps.How low the standards have fallen on NCL. There is no wonder that the main activity was to get clients to put down hundreds of dollars on future cruise deposits as they must have been aware that for many clients this would have been their last NCL cruise. We actually received two voice mail messages and a letter trying to get us to take up the offers.

5 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Norwegian Dawn Cruise from $802

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.