This was my first cruise on Oceania and I had heard so many good things about the line that perhaps my expectations were too high. I had previously sailed on Regent (Mariner of the Seas)at the same class of service and cannot say enough about that experience. Unfortunately, although a lovely ship, Oceania does not match Regent's class of service. The penthouse suites (with butler)do not come close to the luxurious feel of the Regent Penthouse Suites. The bathroom is quite small, and the feeling of separation between the sleeping and sitting area is non-existent. This may not be the case on their newest ship, Marina (there is a lot of anticipation by Oceania cruisers and staff about this new ship), but we were not impressed with the Penthouse Suites on the Regatta. They tout that your refrigerator will be kept supplied with water and soft drinks, but that was not our experience. We had to ask each time the supply was low and they grudgingly restocked only by request. They advertise that the butler will act as your own personal concierge and try to comply with requests for reservations at the specialty restaurants. I would advise that you make certain your reservations are booked before sailing, as our butler never complied with any request that we made. He did not even notify us of his failure to book. We were pretty much left to our own devices (luckily we had booked ahead of time). The only sign of punctuality that he showed was his on-time arrival before we left the ship. Of course, this was because he was looking for a tip (which we felt compelled to give him) above the amount that the ship charged to our account. The in-room appetizers become boring by the end of the first week. The selections offered never varied, and they do not offer nuts, chips, pretzels, etc. The food was not up to the standards that were advertised. It is certainly edible (and the restaurant ambiance is lovely), but the staff at the buffet seemed disgruntled and had a "take it or leave it" attitude. They did not seem to know anything about the daily offerings and they NEVER offered to carry your plate to your table as they do on Regent. One morning I had eggs benedict and the yolk exploded when pierced with a fork. It went all over the table, and was observed by one of the staff. Luckily she came over and was appalled by the incident. The eggs were obviously cooked the morning prior to serving and had been saved to re-appear the second morning. She promptly got me a fresh order, but my appetite and clothes had been ruined. If ice cream is your thing, (the chat boards give Oceania the thumbs up for their ice cream and milkshakes)you may be pleased with the offerings. I found the selections limited and uninspired. Yes, the milkshakes are good, but not exceptional--most milkshakes are good and almost every ship that I've been on offers some sort of ice cream service. Oceania restricts the opening hours that ice cream is served and, with only one server, lines can be long. I will warn you, although it is discussed often on the chat boards, the coffee is VILE. I don't mean that it is weak or strong--just HORRIBLE. Even the room stewards admit that they bring their own supply of instant coffee on board rather than drink the coffee offered on the ship. Is anyone at Oceania listening??? We did not go on the shore excursions offered by Oceania, but booked our own guides in each port and we were very pleased with that decision. We chose this particular Oceania cruise for the line's reputation and the various ports that were included on this trip. We were not disappointed by the selection of ports. Organization of the docking and tendering by the staff was very efficient and well managed. There were no delays in port and the wait for a tender was minimal. Since our time on board was limited (the ship more or less served as a floating hotel), and there were no "at sea" days, we did not participate in the on-board offerings such as the casino, evening shows, bingo, etc. so I cannot comment on those events. I will tell you that common areas are quite lovely (the library is very restful)and it is certainly a beautiful ship, but most of the staff seems to have the attitude "We are Oceania and criticism and suggestions are not appreciated." I don't believe that I will cruise with Oceania again. It's not my cup of tea--or coffee to be more exact.

Mediterranean without coffee