Oceania Vista Review

A millennials love/hate relationship with Oceania.

Review for Transatlantic Cruise on Oceania Vista
The Boys of Boca
First Time Cruiser • Age 40s

Sail Date: Mar 2024

Let me give you all some background so you understand the perspective we are coming from. My husband I are both millennials and have almost exclusively sailed on the so-called “ultra-luxury” lines, i.e. Regent, Silversea, Crystal and Seabourn as we prefer the small ship experience. Since childhood, my husband had always wanted to take a transatlantic cruise. Thanks to the fact that ships are getting StarLink and that he now works from home and I have the option to work from home, suddenly a transatlantic cruise was an viable option. We could take a two-week cruise without having to take two weeks off of work. The problem was that most of the lines we typically sail with had boring itineraries with nothing but sea days and a stop or two in the Caribbean.

We had heard of Oceania but only that it was a “nursing home at sea” with lackluster entertainment. The dilemma for us was that Oceania had a really, really thoughtful transatlantic cruise itinerary. So we booked it. As we spoke to people inside the cruise industry and among friends and colleagues, EVERYONE tried to dissuade us from sailing on Oceania. “You are going to hate it” was the near constant refrain. We did seriously consider cancelling it and when we heard the ship was oversold, we offered to allow Oceania is bump us off if need be. We were really regretting booking it. That said, I am really glad we did as it was such a memorable trip.

I hate to say this but the complaints about the passengers are true. We knew that passengers on a transatlantic cruise would skew older but we were not prepared to be the youngest passengers by 40 plus years. Outside of a nursing home (and I am not saying that jokingly), I have never seen so many wheel chairs, walkers and canes. The average age of the passenger appeared to be decades older than any other line I have ever cruised with. We did meet some lovely people but overall the passenger profile was extremely elderly. While that generally may not matter, here is where we really noticed it. On walking tour excursions, we constantly found that passengers would complaint that they couldn’t actually walk (I will never understand why they would book a walking tour if they could not walk) and would demand to return to the ship. Rarely did the majority of passengers get off at a port because it was too difficult for them to maneuver seeing a port. The questions we overhead them asking the IT department were laughable like “I turned my phone off but how do I turn it on.” We found that the passenger mainly just sat in their cabins all day and read books. They were just very hapless and helpless. Most really did need nursing aids. We attended a “first timers on Oceania” cocktail hour and I leaned over to my husband and said “these passengers are optimistic as I am not sure if they will live to the end of this cruise let alone sail on another.”

Port Reviews

Malaga

Malaga is an excellent port to simply walk off the boat and the 10 minutes it takes to walk into the city center. Don't bother with an excursion. Just walk the city.

14 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an Oceania Vista Cruise from $2,564

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.