Norwegian Sky Review

2,166 reviews

An overall decent winter getaway

Review for the Southern Caribbean Cruise on Norwegian Sky
JimD2019
First Time Cruiser • Age 50s

Sail Date: Feb 2024

Like the title says, overall this was a decent winter getaway. The ship was sold out which meant elevators were sometimes crowded, and the pool decks were almost always crowded but luckily not a huge amount of chair hogs. People were definitely camping out though.

We booked this cruise and travelled with 3 other couples. All of us were booked in regular oceanview cabins (1 couple booked an inside), and they were fine but the smallest cabins we've ever stayed in - and this cruise was 14 days! Still, for a couple it works ok. Luggage we put under the bed, and there was enough closet & shelf space (using the bedside table cubby holes as shelves for t-shirts and shorts) for everything. The bathrooms are definitely an older design, but then this is an older ship. I'm glad they added USB ports to the bedside lamps when the ship was last refurbished as this made charging our devices easy.

We had 2 specialty dinners included in our package and we bought 2 more before the cruise. Went to Cagney's twice, Le Bistro once and La Cucina once. All were very good, though I must admit I had a better steak in the main dining room one night than what was served in Cagney's. This was our 5th NCL cruise, and you can definitely see how NCL has cut their food costs to enhance their profit margins. It's my understanding that all cruise lines are doing this though, so I'm not blaming just NCL for their cutbacks. We ate breakfast each morning in the Garden Cafe buffet, and the food was the same every single boring day. There was only 1 item that changed each day, otherwise it was the same. They don't serve the nice hash browns they used to, either, but serve a dried out corned beef hash in it's place. No eggs benedict on the buffet - at all. Lunch was ok on the buffet - and it was the only choice for lunch besides some pizza served free in La Cucina. Except for our specialty dining meals, we ate dinner each night in the main dining room. Food was mostly pretty good, but again you can see how they've cut food cost. A chicken breast dinner one night was obviously just 1/3 of a chicken breast sliced lengthwise to make it appear bigger than it was. I ordered a NY strip steak dinner one night and that was the best main dining room meal - excellent steak (better than Cagney's!) and hot fries. FYI, fries with other meals in the buffet or in the Local were always lukewarm at best. We went to the Local once for dinner, and were disappointed. I had the reuben sandwich and it had obviously been prepared before the Local opened for dinner (they were only open from 6pm-1pm, so not 24 hours like on other ships), as the bread stuck to the plate due to condensation that had accumulated while it sat under the heat lamp. Bleh.

4 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Norwegian Sky Cruise from $349

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.