Discovery Princess Review

Utterly amazing crew- albeit, a couple drawbacks

Review for Hawaii Cruise on Discovery Princess

The Catch by Rudi
The Retreat Pool- Adults Only
Premium Oceanview Cabin-
Crew at Last Night Party

My third time sailing on the Discovery- I absolutely adore this ship and its crew is absolutely amazing. The crew remains above excellent- they remembered me from previous sailings and made me feel incredibly welcome and at home-and my stateroom- a premium ocean view- was beyond amazing! However, although my overall experience was amazing, there were a few items that detracted from my overall experience- listed below:

#1) The Food: Perhaps it is not fair for me to compare with previous sailings but I will say that the food on this voyage was below average overall- especially when compared to my previous 2 sailings under a different executive chef. I was so excited to finally try the gastropub- Salty Dog- however was extremely disappointed in my particular meal. I ordered poutine which is one of my absolute favorite indulgences- unfortunately, I am not sure if the chef/kitchen knows what cheese curds are- as that is certainly not what was used. Additionally, the cheese used along with the gravy for the poutine made the dish so incredibly salty that it was actually inedible- which says a lot for me. My pizza at GiGi's, although good, was not as good as previous sailings when I honestly could have eaten there every day! We went to Crown Grill, where I ordered seafood as I did the previous time but because I am not a steak eater, it may not be fair for me to review but in my experience(s), this upcharge dining is not worth it. On the other side of my experience with Specialty Dining however, I tried The Catch by Rudi which was absolutely amazing- from the atmosphere to the service to the food and its presentation. Also, Sabatini's may be my new favorite special occasion meal choice- I am partial to Italian food but the menu selection, flavors, service, et al- made this a truly wonderful choice.

As for the main dining room- with the limited hours that breakfast is served, my party only went one time- which was sub-par. Our couple of visits to the MDR for lunch were also lacking in regards to the service- the only time I can say that in regards to the crew on the Discovery.

11 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Discovery Princess Cruise from $268

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.