MSC Seashore Review

Value for Money
Family

Sail Date: Mar 2024

March 31 – Port Canaveral –

A pretty day as we got to Terminal 10. The process was to pull up to the terminal, unload luggage then go park in the garage. There were 2 lanes approaching the terminal and everyone was lined up in a single line in the right lane. A few shuttles passed in the left lane then people decided that passengers should use both lanes. We had been waiting in the right lane so it made me angry but of course there was no signage and the person directing traffic ignored the line breakers (if there were not supposed to be doing that?). Still, we unloaded the luggage, tipped the porter and parked with no issue though there was inadequate signage.

Security and checking was fast and simple since we pre-registered. As we walked to the ship, there was a man in front of us carrying a 12 pack of Coke. Everything said you were not allowed to bring drinks so I was surprised no one stopped him. I stayed near to see how mad he would get when they took the 12 pack on the ship after he had carried it so far. Imagine my shock when no one said anything and he boarded with no problem! Given how expensive soda packages were (and that if 1 in a cabin has a drink package, ALL in the cabin have to have one) I would have loved to bring my own soda! Not my place to say anything to him or the staff though but why have rules if you are going to ignore them?

Port Reviews

Costa Maya

The Costa Maya port area has grown exponentially and is huge now. There is a faux Mayan Temple visible that is a water park. There were tons of taxis available ($4 per person to Majahaul each way). Of course no one has change so it is really $5 per unless you were prepared with change. When we first went, it was almost all dirt road from Costa Maya to Majahaul. Now it is paved highway passing many hotels, shops, restaurants and houses.

Majahaul was completely changed. No simple shops, schools or fishermen. Bars, tourist shops, etc all the way. It was so sad to see the old Majahaul gone. The new one is not awful though. The Krazy Lobster was very busy and a larger beach area than I expected. There were tons of women offering beach front massages ($25-40 for 30 min). I got one at Krazy Lobster for $30 for 45 minutes. It was okay but clearly she was not a trained masseur. Prices for food and beverages were very reasonable. People with pushcarts were going up and down the street selling food and beverages too. Of course every shop was shouting for you to come in. It was not what I expected but it is definitely worth visiting.

Cozumel

There are pedicabs available from the ship to the port area (we were at the International Pier). Huge port area with tons of shops and such. FYI there is a Starbucks at the exit of the port area into town with free WiFi. There is no much beyond the port area without taking a cab or walking a long distance. There is a Senor Frogs, Hooters and such right outside the port area.

Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve

Ocean Cay (OC) is a beautiful place and it is nice that the ship docks and it is only about 50 yards from ship to OC. No long walks from the ship. I am curious to know what they will renovate but no one knows yet so keep in mind my comments are pre-renovations if you read this when OC reopens. There is a huge food pavilion which is nice but there were only 2 lines. The lines moved very slow and were long. Last time we were here, they were actively cooking burgers and food but this time it was all pre-cooked so that aroma was missing. Food was okay but nothing special. Hopefully they will redesign the pavilion. Another big issue was lack of beverages. There are bars but for those of us who just wanted water, some ice and water stands would be nice. There was a single point for water/tea or lemonade on either side of the pavilion but nowhere else that I saw. DW (darling wife) enjoyed the beach but I am not a sand fan so returned to the ship.

6 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an MSC Seashore Cruise from $199

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.