3. Norwegian Spirit
This was the very first cruise I've ever been on. I was disappointed in what I encountered. First the positive. The Staff were all extremely courteous and attentive. I could get used to be called 'Sir James' all the time! And that is the end of that list. Extremely short. It was all downhill after that and I scarcely know where to begin. Let's start with the food. The Raffles Buffet was okay, by the standards of a buffet it was even pretty good. The Main Dining rooms were mediocre at best. In fact it was really just parts of the buffet, served in a fancier setting. We tried one of the Cover Charge places, Cagneys Steakhouse, ambitiously priced at $25 per person, and some of the plates were $10 on top of that. We had the absolute worst Lobster Bisque ever. Horrible, horrible. We think it had a beef stock! I had a 'beef steak tomato' salad, made with some sort of hard red object that resembled an actual tomato. It's August. If you can't do a tomato then you should just give it up. The lobster was the spiny variety, and either they're tough normally, or the chef's overcooked them. Mixed reviews on the various beef offerings. The pool on the top deck was too small for the number of people who wanted to use it. There would have been enough deck chairs, except that people showed up at 6 in the morning and "reserved' them by leaving their towels on them. Every chair was taken, but well over half were unoccupied the entire day. This I blame mostly on rude Massholes who made up most of the crowd. But the Line could have enforced a 30 minute rule and removed towels. I tired very quickly of the incessant, in-your-face, sales pitches. They were hawking everything from Jewelry to pictures to other crap and it never let up. Far too much of that. If that one bar maid asked me one more time if I wanted a "drinky-drink" on the last day when I was feeling quesy I swear I would have tossed her over the side. Luckily she caught my green palor and the evil eye I was giving her when she started approaching. The drinks were no bargain. Free beer! Who doesn't like that? Of course the NCL definition of that means by a bucket of 4 for $39 and they'll toss in a 5th. A bargain! Real aluminum bottles too. Good stuff like Bud and Bud Lite and Bud Dry. And Heniken, skunked of course. They were pushing 2-1 Martinis in the Charlie Loungue and my party was working that hard. I haven't looked at my bill, I don't know how much they were, but the second you finished the 2nd they were on top of you. If I see another martini glass this year I'm going to lose my lunch. Some of the entertainment in the longue was pretty good though. The entertainment in the big theater was okay. On sea days you had to get there quick to get a seat though. If that were my only complaint I would have been okay. Some of us played bingo. I don't but I heard that they skimmed most of the money off and offered stingy prizes, which goes against the spirit of bingo. Typical of the whole money grubbing experience. We lost part of one day in Bermuda because of a storm in the area, but they turned the last day into a full day, so I suppose they deserve credit for that. Two days wasn't enough though, wish there were more. Some of our crew were old and slowed us down, otherwise we might've got it all in. I can recommend Church Bay for snorklers. The Swizzle Inn was something of a bust. And if you were thinking of the Crystal Caves there is a free near-equivalent nearby that someone in St George told us about. Take the bus to the resort just before the Swizzle - drawing a blank on the name, might'be been the Grotto. It's fancy and it looks like you shouldn't be intruding, but stick to the left and go back by the pool and there are two free, decent caves right there. Not bad. The only other positive advice I can offer is if you're getting the 2/3 day bus/ferry pass skip that first place you can do that, right off the ship. The line is long and slow and you can head over to the visitor center and get them quicker.

NCL Spirit: Boston-Bermuda