Celebrity Summit Review

Pretty interior, infrastructure need attention

Review for the Western Caribbean Cruise on Celebrity Summit
Jc3165
First Time Cruiser • Age 40s

Value for Money
Family

Sail Date: Apr 2024
Traveled with children

I’ll start this review by saying I am a very experienced cruiser with status on Disney, Royal and Carnival and this was my first and probably last Celebrity cruise for a while.

Starting on a positive note with pros - the interior of the ship was redone during COVID so the rooms are very pretty. We went during a peak week so we did 2 ocean view cabins on the third deck and they were very conveniently located - highly recommend. The bathrooms are modern and the rooms are clean and were tidy. The food in the buffet was excellent and we never had to fight to find seats. The ice cream is in the buffet and the soft serve, sorbet and ice cream were high quality. The casino was fun and dealers were kind and polite. The martini bar on deck 4 had some cool cocktail style shows making drinks which was fun to watch.

For the cons, the list is a little longer. We knew before getting on there isn’t much to do but eat. There’s no rock climbing walls or zip lines and that is fine but the whole vibe of the ship is very blah. The promenade is a carpeted set of stores with limited inventory and is not the heart of the ship like you typically find. The ship itself had a lot of issues on our sail date. We lost power twice - the ship went dark, no elevators, no WiFi, etc. The ship also had black sludge coming from the shower during the first blackout and we had brown water from our sink. After the second blackout they said the power was fully restored so we went to have dinner at the buffet. We were there for almost an hour and there was nothing to drink unless you had the drink package because the pumps to mix water or to deliver water to fountains were not working. I had my kids wash their hands and no one told us there was no water so they ate dinner with their soapy hands. I paid for us to have All Access and reported these issues to guest services and got nothing besides “sorry for the inconvenience”. As we were leaving the buffet they started giving out water bottles but this was after almost an hour. Guest services simply told me “with email down it is hard to communicate and only the managers can make decisions so it was delayed”. It just felt like no one cared that the ship itself caused us quite an inconvenience and ruined our day as the 2 blackouts lasted over 2 hours plus the time at dinner so I think the infrastructure and handling of procedures needs to be looked at more closely by Celebrity.

8 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Celebrity Summit Cruise from $247

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.