Viking Orion Review

Great Ship; disappointing itinerary.

Review for Asia Cruise on Viking Orion
Sail0rM0n
2-5 Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Mar 2024

The Orion is a wonderful ship, and well-crewed. For the ship and crew I would give 4.5+ stars.

I could not recommend this itinerary however, my 3rd experience with Viking. Ports of Call were mostly ugly industrial shipping harbors, and even the paid shore excursions seemed to offer little for the effort and discomfort involved being ashore. Those shore trips seemed as carefully managed as was possible by the local Tourist Boards, but I came away from the cultural experience with a sense of despair and hopelessness for these centers of overpopulation resigned to live among their own garbage and squalor. Poverty is different, and has a certain nobility. This was resignation. On two occasions in Indonesia our cramped, dirty-windowed tour bus was treated to a police escort ("expediting travel through traffic" was the storyline). I couldn't help but notice the heightened sense of urgency at the slightest traffic, rather like we were being protected from attack. Strangely, at every stop of our buses in Indonesia, someone would happen to be on their phone, near our group, surreptitiously observing us. Felt like a police state.

Air quality is also generally poor, not what you'd expect for tropical islands, but exactly what you'd expect from unregulated, overpopulated, industrialized playgrounds of environmental destruction.

2 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Viking Orion Cruise from $4,999

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.