Norwegian Dawn Review

Review for Africa Cruise on Norwegian Dawn
hdgmail
First Time Cruiser • Age 60s

Sail Date: Mar 2024

There is something definitely wrong on this ship. I got a stomach virus after 3 days of sailing and was put in isolation. After taking my medicine, I barely are for the subsequent 3 days. And, I got the bug, again. I traced my problem to a common denominator: Caesar Salad. The Captain ordered that crews must serve passengers in the buffet area. We aren't even allowed to get water by ourselves. And, the officer's dinners have been cancelled. This is the same ship that recently had an outbreak on the previous itinerary. In addition we are getting shortchanged on our tours. Yesterday, we participated in the longest scheduled tour, the 8-hour Grand Bassam. We were delayed docking, and delayed departing. Our bus was the last one, and we got on track at 11:45 AM. It took us 1.25 hours to get to our first stop: lunch! Then, after 1 hour, we were told to board the bus, only to sit for 45 minutes waiting for the guides to get a grip on the total count. We arrived at our next stop, the Bassam Museum. We were told 20 minutes to explore. We were all back on the bus after 20 minutes, but waited another 25 minutes before moving on. After touring Bassam for another 30 minutes, we proceeded to head back to Abidjan for another scheduled stop at a market. This time, we were told to be back on the bus in 30 minutes. Barely 15 minutes went by when the guides started chasing after us on the account that our Captain was waiting for us. We got back on the ship at 17:45, or 6 hours after our initial departure. Lost 2 hours on the most expensive, useless tour. This has become NCL's trademark as a previous experience on the voyage from Taipei to Singapore was nothing short of a total mess. Late departures, extended waiting times without notice, long lines to get back on tenders due to few number of operating units, etc. Horrible. I have two cruises booked later this year. Afterwards, I am done with NCL and I hope many others follow suit.A few last comments: no bananas after 3 days; no plain yogurt after 2 days. The "so called" 24-hour Garden Cafe closed at 9:30 AM on a day when our arrival to Port was delayed by 1.5 hours! Thus, limited breakfast.

Port Reviews

Walvis Bay

Nite town. The Sandwich Harbor dunes is a must.

7 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Norwegian Dawn Cruise from $809

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.