Nieuw Statendam Review

Review for the Western Caribbean Cruise on Nieuw Statendam
Marie_booklady
First Time Cruiser • Age 40s

Sail Date: Mar 2024

This was our first cruise! Our first happy surprise is that we were upgraded from an inside cabin to a verandah. We were absolutely thrilled! We spent quite a bit of time on our covered verandah enjoying the incredible views. We are in our mid-40's and were definitely on the younger end of our cruise's population, but we didn't mind. We definitely preferred that to a bunch of partying spring breakers. All in all, we couldn't have been happier with our experience. We ate dinner in the dining room and breakfast and lunch on the Lido deck. The food surpassed our expectations. The dining room dinner menus were excellent. The only miss for me was the lasagna, and it was just a little meat-heavy for my taste. Everything else was amazing. We got the Quench drink package as we are not alcohol drinkers and had lots of soda and virgin specialty drinks. I especially loved the pina coladas and my husband was a big fan of the Pusser's Painkillers. We also took advantage of the gelato for a reasonable extra charge. In the future, I will likely opt to just pay for drinks a la carte as I think I drank more soda than I otherwise would have just so I felt like I was getting my money's worth. The Lido food options were also great. What really set apart our dining experience was the excellent staff. They were all so friendly and kind and accommodating. We were very impressed. We spent time in the Lido pool and on the seating in the pool deck area. We spent our at-sea mornings taking a dip in the pool and then lounging by the pool with our books and a cold drink. We also spent a lot of time just walking around on the ship and taking in the views. It's a beautiful ship and is very clean and well maintained. We felt so pampered when our stateroom was cleaned while we were at breakfast every morning and our pillows were fluffed and our bed turned down in the evening while we were at dinner. We purchased excursions at each of our port destinations. At Half Moon Cay, we did the Eco Lagoon Kayak Adventure. It was super fun and we got to interact with some sea creatures. At Falmouth Jamaica, we did the E-Bike, Zip-Line & River Tubing with Lunch. That one was also super fun. At Georgetown, Cayman Islands, we did the Allura Catamaran Sail to Stingray Sandbar. That was a magical experience. I just wished our 13 year old had been there with us, she would have been in heaven! At Cozumel, we did the Surf & Turf: 4x4 Terracross & Speed Boat. They also threw in snorkeling and lunch, which we weren't expecting. I felt like all of our excursions were amazing and the guides were all fantastic. We took advantage of a few of the evening entertainments. The comedy shows and magic show were great while the Broadway music night was a bit of a miss for us. It seemed geared to a much older crowd. We didn't use it as we came stocked with our own books, but the library had a great selection of books. (This coming from a librarian!) We definitely plan on cruising again in the future as this cruise set our expectations sky high!

9 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Nieuw Statendam Cruise from $328

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.