Brilliance of the Seas Review

1,567 reviews

What’s Happened to the Royal Caribbean Brand?

Review for Australia & New Zealand Cruise on Brilliance of the Seas
carlton2011
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Mar 2024
Cabin: Ultra Spacious Ocean View

On boarding the ship my wife and I were shocked to find our cabin would only be serviced once a day. This was not a cheap cruise particularly when paying in Aussie $. Royal Caribbean left this to the cabin steward to try and explain. Very poor effort on behalf of the management team to leave this to the cabin attendant. Surely a cabin cleaned twice a day provides a much more healthier environment for passengers.

Our first couple of nights eating in the Main Dining Room were a disaster. Often the description of the food on the menu did not match with what was served up on the plate. My wife ordered French onion soup and it turned up at the table with this soggy upside down crouton of bread and cheese. What made this worse was that there was very little actual onion in the soup.I didn’t realise onions were so expensive. I ordered a pasta dish with a creamy Chardonnay sauce that turned up with no actual sauce at all, just a gooey glob of pasta stuck together. I then asked the waiter for some sauce to go with my pasta and she brought me back a cup of tea. Yes really a cup of tea. Any well trained waiter would have removed my pasta dish and replaced it with a new one from the kitchen. On another occasion my wife and I ordered steaks from the menu, supposedly cooked to your liking. Instead we were served over cooked steaks that had obviously been sitting under a warmer and the so called peppercorn sauce was inedible. Many items on the Main Dining Room menu were repeated over and over again include spaghetti that had no depth of flavour, pot pies that were either very salty or had pastry covering them that you could not crack with a knife. The menu had stated served with flakey pastry. On another night moussaka was served. It contained only two tiny pieces of eggplant the rest of the dish consisted of chunks of potato,carrot and zucchini. The waiter told us a number of guests from the earlier sitting said it was horrible. Yet it was still served up to us at second sitting. Don’t any of the chefs check the presentation and taste the dishes before they go out of the kitchen.

Health protocols on board were terrible. Guests were coughing from the first day we boarded. Surprised that this ship had no handwashing stations. I thought during COVID this was initiated by Royal Caribbean on all their older ships. We saw few staff wiping down hand rails on the stairs and none wiping down the lift and lift areas. In the Windjammer buffet coughing passengers were allowed to help themself to food items and it was only on the third to last day a Perspex covering was put in front of the soups. With so much coughing on board the ship why were the buffet attendants not serving food. Only cleaning the cabins once a day doesn’t help the health protocols either. The public toilets on board were often smelly and blocked. Very rarely did we see deep cleaning going on. We also noticed large numbers of guests staying in their cabins for days on end, noticeable by the dishes left outside the cabins and the still sleeping signs left on the doors. Speaking to a number of guest we discovered their partners had caught COVID. No mention of this was made to the passengers who then could have worn masks at least. My wife got sick early on Day 5 of this 18 night cruise. We’ve since returned home and she still has a bad cough and swollen glands, and I’ve been coughing for the past 8 days. All the result of the poor health protocols on board this ship.

Ultra Spacious Ocean View

Ultra large oceanview cabin up the front of the ship with 2 large round windows. Smelled so much of cigarette smoke we had to buy a diffuser to reduce the smell. The shower head needs replacing and the bathroom curtain kept coming off the track. Very annoying.

4 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Brilliance of the Seas Cruise from $342

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.