MSC Seashore Review

Lovely cruise with a few "buts"

Review for the Bahamas Cruise on MSC Seashore
Travelbonkers44
6-10 Cruises • Age 40s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Mar 2024

I've been on MSC in the Mediterranean before (Poesia), as well as Princess, Costa and other, smaller cruise lines. I'm a 40+ European and used to work on Princess Cruises in the Carribean and Alaska as a waiter some years ago. I have a decent idea of how things work on the ship and also of differences between cruising in the US and in Europe. I'm a massive fan of cruises and follow very closely what's going on in the industry as it's a passion of mine. I could not be more excited to try Seashore, by far the largest and newest vessel I have cruised on.

First off MSC Seashore is spectacular. Sparkly, big, bold, shiny, new, logically laid out and with plenty to see and do. I think that 7 night cruise is a sweet spot to discover and appreciate everything it has to offer. It felt that we were not able to explore avery nook and cranny in 4 nights. The atrium was beautiful, plenty of shops, art, interesting areas. Incredible open deck areas, several pools. Clearly the ship is designed for the Carribean. There is no expansive indoor promenade like on their Meraviglia class or most of the Royal Carribean ships. But there are also no dead-ends and confusing backtracking when looking for places. The maps located at every lift are excellent and we learned the layout of the ship pretty much in one day. Fabulous vessel!

Having said that, you can really tell that the crew to passenger ratio is very low - around 3.3 pax to 1 crew on our particular cruise which is one of the lowest in the industry according to Cruisewatch rankings. There were 5400 passengers on our cruise, well over 4600 double occupancy capacity. It meant that you could really feel the crowds at certain times and in certain places. For example on embarkation day, sea day, at the main pool, when disembarking / embarking in the ports, and especially in the bars. We didn't know that our cruise will coincide with the US spring break - oops, dropped the ball with research (we went to Disney World after and it was mayhem for the same reason but that's a different story haha).

Deluxe balcony cabin. Plenty of storage, good bathroom, great balcony size. The bathroom smelled a bit weird. Kinda like they tried to have it smell like strawberries but at the same time it resembled cat urine somehow (we have cats at home so it smelled familiar). Odd but we got used to that. But the whole cabin was always spotless. Plenty of EU and US sockets as well as USB. Great cabin steward, good amenities, comfy bed. The view of Ocean Cay was out of this world (you need even-numbered cabin for that). A few issues though. Our deck 9 cabin was right over the promenade deck 8 which sticks out a few metres resulting in not much privacy on our balcony. People walking by can and will look at you when you're on the balcony. It was an odd feeling as we always had full balcony privacy on every ship we sailed on before. It could have been worse though. Aurea suites on deck 9 aft have a very long balcony completely exposed to everyone standing on their balconies from deck 10 and up. I'd be fuming if I booked one of those! Now back to our cabin - part of the promenade deck 8 we faced was a smoking area - smell of smoke was reaching us pretty much all the time so we kept our balcony closed. I'd book deck 10 and up next time. Otherwise the location was awesome. Close to all the action on lower decks. We also liked the TV cause it takes USB sticks - I brought our own movies and music although, as always, the time spent in cabin was much less than expected.

Port Reviews

Nassau

Very busy, expensive shopping, ultra crowded beach (the one nearest to the port). For a nice beach you need to take a taxi. A lot of the products in the Straw Market is cheaply made and not worth the money. They wanted to charge me $50 for a small pirate skull. An I mean the size of an apple. Negotiated down to $25 but I feel it's worth maybe $10. Same with many other products. We did enjoy walking around though and exploring the colorful streets. Beautiful weather and the new cruise port is really good too with lots of shopping and plenty of space.

Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve

Absolutely phenomenal island. So relaxed and beautiful. Bars were busy (our drinks packagaes working!) but we were too busy ourselves, looking at the fabulous water and enjoying warm breeze, to be bothered by queues haha. Such an amazing location and kudos to MSC for investing so much to restore the island and its ecosystem. I could spend a week at Ocean Cay. Note that if you like snorkeling don't bother going anywhere else on the island but the Lighthouse beach whish is the only place you will see fish. In fact the snorkeling experience is quite poor and we wish we spent the money on something else than the snorkeling gear.

5 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an MSC Seashore Cruise from $199

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.