Ventura Review

10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Feb 2024

We choose Ventura for the ports of call. Alas, three were cancelled but the ports we did call at were in the main okay during our 35 night sailing. Never again on Ventura, the food was of poor quality, the service, hit and miss, the entertainment average, I don't think anyone would watch the acts if they appeared at venues other than on a cruise. The cabins, managed to a Travel Lodge standard, no better and no worse, although Travel Lodge probably have a better policy on deep cleaning and refurbishment. The real problem was the lack of catering ability, both from the head waiters and the chefs. Often the food was cold, there was no cuttlery, food ran out and towards the end of the cruise the vegetables were being served well past their sell by date - you know, black and in part, rotting. The food operation is very much, freezer to oven, to plate, so very little cooking skills required. The head waiters wandered around unconcerned by dirty tables and piles of plates etc. My Wife requires a gluten free diet and it was very difficult to get a meal in the Waterside, mash, peas but fish in a wheat based sauce....that was the general theme throughout. We ended-up spending around £600 on speciality venues, or buying gluten free staples like cereal and decent bread at ports of call. Other diets struggled, for example lactose free. Might seem strange but we did quite enjoy the cruise, Miami was brilliant and some of the central american ports were certainly different. However, we just couldn't fathom why the management of the ship was so poor, the worst we have ever sailed on. It might have been the Captain, who was lacking in engagement skills and very remote and dis-interested in the passengers. This leadership may have filtered down to 'his' ship's company on 'his' ship ! So, if you enjoy average food, like piling it high, enjoy a £80 a day drinks package along with average service in an uninspiring setting this is the ship for you.

Seriously, I do wonder quite where P and O is heading. It is certainly moving away from attracting its regular 'repeat business' cruiser to a busier 'in your face' environment and sometimes it's not overly pleasant I suspect bouncers or security guards might become more visible in the future. Obviously this is my view and comments I hope it helps. Luxury, or approaching luxury this is not.

Think of a Travel Lodge

16 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Ventura Cruise

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.