Aurora Review

Forget those winter blues!

Review for the Caribbean Cruise on Aurora
David George, Chester
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Jan 2024
Mahogany Bay, Roatan
Saint Maarten
New Orleans in the rain and mist

It was when Lorena, Sous Chef in the Horizon self-service restaurant, asked me on the first morning what sort of bread I preferred for my breakfast toast that I had an inkling that Aurora was going to deliver something special. The 65-night Grand Tour to the USA and Caribbean certainly did that, starting each day with seeded bread for my toast, baked by Lorena and cheerfully delivered to my table by Buffet Assistant Jason.

Other treats lay in store, starting with Jude, my cabin steward, who did a great job keeping my cabin ship-shape with the added bonus of his work always completed before 8 o’clock. Excellent service was a central theme with bar tenders like Russell, Laneesha and Nags always on hand in Andersons and Raffles to serve coffee and drinks and have a chat. Just one reservation. The slices of Victoria sponge served after midday with my Costa became ever thinner as the cruise progressed but a second helping soon sorted that out.

In Alexandria restaurant Xavier, Executive Chef, delivered some splendid meals. The fish - cod, halibut, plaice, barramundi, mahi mahi - was never overcooked and it took something very special to try an alternative. One such was the medallions of beef - tender and full of flavour - and our waiters Cal and Denise would happily bring extra chips on request, or ice cream when it came to the desserts. First sitting was moved forward (by popular demand apparently) to 6pm, a timing which prevented watching a number of sailaways and this was disappointing, a view shared by others.

7 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an Aurora Cruise

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.