Club Med 2 Review

10+ Cruises • Age 80s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Feb 2024

I fell in love with Club Med on my first visit to their Paradise Island village (now long gone) in 1974. Ever since then I have taken at least one Club Med vacation each year, sometimes more. I have sailed on the Club Med 1 & 2 four times, starting in 1992. When Club Med sold the Club Med 1 to Windstar (renamed as the "Wind Surf") I took ten more cruises on that ship, plus a few more on their other vessels.

I have a special relationship with Club Med because I have booked many group vacations with them over many years (over 500 guest days). When Club Med decided to open up the Club Med 2 to the American market, they invited me to join one of their cruises out of St. Martin, only two weeks after I had completed a similar cruise on the "Wind Surf". So, some of the following review will compare the features and overall experience of the two sailing experiences, both of which were outstanding.

My "Wind Surf' cruise was a group event of 20 guests, while on the Club Med 2 I was the only American out of 79 passengers. What a different experience! My first impression was that the Club Med 2 was "Oh, so French!" The AC outlets in the cabin were the 2-prong Euro variant, but my cabin stewardess Mykah was able to get me an adaptor. Many of the signs, posters, and brochures were in French, but most of the public announcements were in both languages. Dinner did not start until 8 PM, and the dancing started a little before midnight!

The cabins on the Club Med 2 and the Windstar sailing yachts are identical and have not changed much in many years, but they still appear to be fresh and inviting. The coffee machine was a nice addition. The closet hanging space is fairly small, but I have learned to stow the away provided bathrobe to make extra room. My luggage easily fit under the comfortable Queen bed. The compact bathroom has a neat shower with a pull-out clothesline for drying a swimsuit. The bathroom towels were the softest and most luxuriant I have ever experienced in my life! The blackout curtains really do block the light completely, but the light switches are conveniently located next to your pillow.

2 Helpful Votes

Find a cruise

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.