MSC Magnifica Review

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Feb 2024
Traveled with children

Embarkation and walk off disembarkation were great. Overall, the rest was a bit of a mess. It was nice to have the key cards on the door waiting for us. It would have been nice to know that our assigned dining room and fun pass were on our key cards. Communication and information go a long way. We were not informed that our dining room was assigned, or that it was listed on our key card. We went to the wrong dining room the first night and were sent upstairs to the other one. We were late getting there since we had waited downstairs, my Mom is in a wheelchair, and had my niece and nephew with me. The hostess was very abrupt in telling us that we had to be on time to eat there, seated us in a very cramped table, and left. Our waiter came to take our orders, and was very rushed since we were late, and when he asked about desserts (which we are not used to ordering until after a meal), the kids were looking to see what was offered and he said "time is ticking". The whole dining room experience was unprofessional and honestly, just rude. It was day 1 and some leniency should have been shown. We did not return there for the rest of the cruise. This was my 29th cruise, and my Mothers 17th, the first for the kids and the first with MSC for any of us.

I am a planner and try to book as much as possible ahead of time to make things a bit easier and more cost effective, especially when traveling with my mom in the wheelchair and with the kids along. I had red wine and sparkling wine with chocolate covered strawberries ordered and they were in our room on night one. The sparkling wine came with 2 souvenir champagne glasses, and since there were 4 of us, I also ordered the romantic breakfast which said that it also came with 2 souvenir champagne glasses. That breakfast delivery did not come with the glasses, so we only got 2, but paid for 4. Disappointing. I also ordered a continental breakfast so we could let the kids sleep in one day and have our coffee on the balcony. Both breakfasts came on the same day, which seemed like a waste. It would have been nice to be able to choose the days we wanted things delivered when it was booked. I also had ordered and paid for a birthday cake which we never received. I had loaded the special $140 for $70 onto a fun pass for the kids ahead of time. We were not told that it was on the kid’s room card, so had no idea about that until another passenger told us. On day 3, we went to the virtual theater with the kids, and at check in for that, the staff explained the fun pass, saying that when the pass runs out, the extra charges are billed to our room, and had me sign a form saying I understood that. The person behind us in line said that in order to not have that happen, I had to go to guest services to put a block on it. There is so much wrong with this whole process. The card should be termed when the money is gone and reloaded at guest services if desired. Day 3 is NOT the time to find out about this. Again, should have been disclosed ahead of time.

I was ready to book an excursion in Nassau ahead of time in order to get the special pricing, but there was zero information as to whether any of the excursions were wheelchair friendly, so we were forced to wait until we got onboard and pay full price so that we could ask the staff before committing. The staff at guest services recommended the Blue Lagoon trip with lunch, saying it was wheelchair friendly. We got our tickets that night delivered to our room and it said to meet “directly on the pier”. The pier was huge, there were 4 ships in port, so we were not sure what that exactly meant, and again found ourselves looking for answers. The tour was to meet at 10:45am. Would have liked to have known that at booking. It seemed a bit late to be going since we docked at 8am. When we got to the check in, we were told to wait in the line with a woman holding a #9 sign. Our tickets said #11. Confusing to say the least, no clarification on that when we asked about it. We were loaded onto the boat, which was the slowest one going over. Three other boats passed us going over there. It was a bit rough due to winds, but our boat seemed to have a lot more trouble docking than any of the other boats. It was about an hour between boarding, the trip over, waiting for the other boat to unload and docking. Seemed like a long time for such a short excursion to begin with. When we boarded the boat, they told us to sit in the front so I could get off first with the wheelchair when we got there. When we got there, we got off first, but they did not get my Moms wheelchair off until all the other passengers were off, so she was left standing there for a longer time than was necessary or acceptable. The path to the beach area begins with a large uphill climb, and then is all broken and bumpy. This is about a 10 minute walk, made longer with the wheelchair. No one should be recommending this tour for people in manual wheelchairs. When we were getting ready to leave the island, we started to head back to the boat early since the walk was grueling for us with the wheelchair, and thankfully, a person stopped us and told us we did not need to walk back because the boats pick up at the beach! This was crazy! Why didn’t they drop off there? It would have been quicker and more convenient for everyone! At the very least, we should have been told that we didn’t have to walk back there when they dropped us off.

Balcony room. Great room. Held 4 comfortably.

2 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an MSC Magnifica Cruise from $59

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.