Queen Elizabeth Review

Great Service, poor decision making.

Review for Australia & New Zealand Cruise on Queen Elizabeth
JavarisJamar
2-5 Cruises • Age 40s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Feb 2024
Cabin: Balcony

Went on this cruise for my late honeymoon with my wife. Service and staff was generally amazing, the team keeping the ship clean and serving the food in the Brittania restaurant were top notch. Afternoon tea was wonderful we went almost every day, and the gala nights were really nice. It's wonderful to still have cruise lines that keep things classy. The food that we got was great and tasted wonderful.

Unfortunately the decision making and organization for some of the key elements were absolutely horrible, it really seems as if the upper levels of staff don't realize that a lot of people go on cruises to be able to visit cities and ports. Woke up after the first night to find ourselves gunning it back to Sydney at 20 knots due to a medical emergency, but with 2 days at sea planned before the first destination one might expect that we'd do the same on the way back to make up time, but no. Rough seas had us going at half that speed the ship is meant to be able to reach, effectively cutting off a whole port of call as well as one of the days in Wellington. Made it to the fjords a whole day late and even had to skip the 3rd entry point for the fjords due to it being apparently too windy. Given the circumstances I'm sure a lot of people might have preferred us making our port of call in Dunedin and actually getting off the ship rather than visiting the fjords for a few hours. Added to that, it took us 2 hours to get off the ship in tender boats at the bay of islands, with nothing to do beyond just waiting in the theater of the ship while they played the BBC on the projector on mute, because that's the only place you'll hear when your tender boat is leaving. I'm glad we decided to start that early, but it also meant we had no chance to visit anything there before having to get on our excursion. Apparently booking an excursion with the cruise line gets you no scheduled disembarkation time or priority tender access if you book the excursion in the afternoon? I'm at a loss as to why they didn't have specifically scheduled/booked tender assignments like I've seen on other lines.

My first cruise since covid so I don't know if it's a Cunard/Carnival thing or if all cruise lines do this since then but to top it off, there was an acknowledgement from the Captain that all of this sucked but there seemed to be no sense of ownership or attempt to acknowledge any accountability for any of this, and therefore no compensation of any kind. It took us 3 days of talking to the Purser's office to eventually getting to talk to the Customer Service Manager and literally asking outright to get us comped one day of basic internet just so we could cancel all of our externally booked shore excursions (which thank god were refundable).

Balcony

4 Helpful Votes
next review

Find a Queen Elizabeth Cruise from $499

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.