Radiance of the Seas Review

OK for families with younger kids.

Review for the Western Caribbean Cruise on Radiance of the Seas
ghstudio
First Time Cruiser • Age 80s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Feb 2024
Traveled with children

Our goal was to get our whole family together and give our grandchildren (age 5-11) their first cruise. The ship, the friendly staff, the outstanding waiters all worked well. The kids were happy swimming; we did not use the kids programs at all. They enjoyed the two shows we saw and everyone had a good time. Cabins were very clean as was the ship in general. The significant downside to the cruise was the food which was, at best, high school cafeteria quality. We've been on two princess ships since covid and found their food has gone seriously downhill.....well RCL has gone even further downhill. The best food in the buffet or MDR was Indian and they had good hot dogs (but truly awful sauerkraut). I usually enjoy the salad bar, but the salad bar choices were really basic...not even olives. Cold cuts and cheeses equally sparse....Swiss, cheddar and some other hard cheese...no soft cheeses like brie or goats cheese.....and those same cheeses were on the artisan cheese plate for dessert at dinner. I suspect others have commented negatively about the food on the main board and any negative comments are probably true. If you want a sugar free snack, you have to find the one food area that has sugar free cookies and they will be lemon....every day...lemon. . We've been on over 25 cruises, so I have some basis of comparison when I say that I would not recommend RCL unless you are travelling with children. On the very plus side, this is the first ship where there were lifeguards at the pools and they were serious about their jobs, they had medical gear with them, they really continually watched everyone in the pool....they weren't just decorative. However, if you are older and looking for a nice vacation in the same general price class, I'd recommend Celebrity over NCL or RCL, and I'd only suggest Princess if they offered a unique route (celebrity does the same cruises year after years).

Port Reviews

Costa Maya

A purpose built tourist port in the middle of no where. Completely tourist stores, no bargains....no reason to get off the ship

Cozumel

Nice to walk around....lots of excursions to beachs and other swimming activities. Very tourist which is to be expected.

2 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Radiance of the Seas Cruise from $312

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.