Norwegian Viva Review

2-5 Cruises • Age 60s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Feb 2024

My wife and I and our adult son cruised on the Viva on the February 4th sailing in the Caribbean. My wife and I stayed in a forward facing small suite on deck 12 and my son stayed in the Studio section nearby. We all liked our rooms. They were very clean, well appointed with decent air conditioning and good showers (larger than we've had on previous cruises). The TVs were nice and large but I expected a lot more channel options (only cable news channels -although no CNN- and then a few of their own movie channels. Plus the usual ship channels. The forward facing cabin is good in that you have a chaise lounge chair which you don't get on almost all side-of-ship rooms, but you can't see out unless you stand up on the balcony which we knew would be an issue so nothing to complain about. Obviously it also gets very windy facing forward when the ship is on the move. One other gripe about the room: there was a fairly loud intermittent noise that we heard that sounded like a toilet flushing from another cabin (above us?) but we weren't sure. We weren't in the room that much other than for sleep and it didn't wake us but it was a bit annoying.

The ship otherwise is brand new and very bright and clean and attractive but that's where the positives end regarding this ship's design. The ship is comparatively small and only has one meager swimming pool. The one day we set up on the top deck above the pool area a bingo game started with a loudspeaker so loud that no one could think much less relax. We avoided that area the rest of the cruise. A much better location is on deck eight in the back of the ship where you could find a variety of chairs, sofas and chaise lounges to relax. That was the spot to be for us.

Interestingly, while the seas were pretty calm on our cruise (other than the second to last night) you definitely noticed this ship rocking a good bit. Maybe we just noticed it because we hadn't cruised since before Covid or we thought maybe it's because this is a smaller and narrower ship than most. The motion didn't make us feel ill at all and it really wasn't a problem other than sometimes taking you off your stride, but it just seemed a little odd.

6 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Norwegian Viva Cruise from $849

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.