3. Navigator of the Seas
We just got back from our Rome round trip on Navigator of the Seas. Our family consists of parents and 4 kids aged 14 to 19. Its our third cruise and I used Cruise Critic frequently during our planning stages. I should also say that we are frequent travelers- and mostly not cruises. Depending on what you like and what your expectations are I should say that we found this ship too big, and our fellow passengers not to our liking. Although overall the reviews Ive read were accurate, embarkation fine, cabins adequet, food good... not great, we were terribly disappointed in a few things. Firstly, dont let anyone tell you the ship does not feel crowded. We stood on a line of about 50 people waiting to be seated for My Time dining the first night. Yes. it improved as the week went on--- but not a very nice way to begin the cruise. its stricly a mass market cattle call experience. The pools were absurdly crowded with loud disco music most of the day-- if you want a party scene that is it. It was not our idea of realaxing. The ports of call were very disappointing ( not Rome of rBarcelona of course) but Toulon is a terribel city and its really too far to get to Aix or anywhere nice, Mallorca is Ok- but again your only there for 6 hours and SArdinia can be very interesting- but not Cagliairi. These ports obvioulsyu made a deal with RC to bring in tourists for a reduced docking fee--- and it shows. Also- in two ports the dock is so far away you cant walk anywhere--- but RC charges 10 EURO a person for a "shuttle" to a place to get a taxi. If the ship docks in an inaccessable place it should be the cruise lines job to shuittle free of charge. Our fellow guests were not the most pleasant people. We are usually very tolerant of people but these people were just not very refined. Along the same lines the dress codes were not enforced. We were very disheartedned to see t shirts and shorts on grown men allowed in the MDR. On "formal night" only 30% of the men even botherd with a suit and tie. Again, men in shirt sleeeves were allowed alongside the few in tuxs and suits. It devalued our expereince and shame on RC for allowing it. Smoking- Those same rude people who do not observe dress codes also smoked wherever they pleased. it was just awful to walk through the smell. I dont understand why people who wish to wear thirts and shorts to dinner on vacation- which is a perfectly fine thing to do...would even book a cruise! So- if you have high standards and wish to be around other folks who perfer a more elegant experience I would strongly advise against RC, especially out of a european port. Speaking of that - the cruise director, Pietro Alssi or something is the most annoying little man. I never heard him speak anything but I talian the entire cruise. While we realize RC is a mid range cruise ship and we booked it for that reason haveing 6 people, what you may save over Oceania or Regent or Seaborne ( which we did last year and was wonderful) - they make up for by constatnly hawking cheap goods or nickle an diming you on everything. They even had the nerve to charge me 25 cents in the medical office for a band aid for my daughter's blister!!! RC is very low brow and I don't think very good value. We will not be sailing them again.

Navigator of the Seas....a different (RE) View!!

Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by sheilapb