Sky Princess Review

Lack of help when being medically disembarked

Review for Transatlantic Cruise on Sky Princess
User Avatar
Wiltshire Girl
First Time Cruiser • Age 50s

Rating by category

Value for Money
Public Rooms

Additional details

Sail Date: Nov 2023

We sailed on Sky Princess for a Transatlantic crossing, our third time on princess but we have taken many cruises with different lines and destinations. Dimond Plus on RC, We love cruising. We traveled with my sister and brother in law and were very excited to take this trip together.. Our cabin ( mini suite) was nice but the bathroom had lots of hair around the bath and floor and my husband made the mistake of walking bare foot on the balcony only to have a large toe nail clipping stuck into the bottom of his foot (not his) we then noticed there was quite a collection of nail clippings on the balcony floor. Gross but not the end of the world. We feel the dining room food has taken a dive and was not as good as previous trips it was just okay. The staff in the International cafe were outstanding, very friendly and helpful with coffee and treats. The first stop in the Azores was cancelled due to staff striking at the port, we did not mind as we were enjoying being on the ship and Princess quickly refunded our money for port taxes and our booked trip. On the ninth day of our trip my husband suddenly became ill and fainted while eating in the buffet area, the staff responded quickly and kindly and had my husband taken to the ships medical center. He was quickly assessed and diagnosed and told needed a Pacemaker. My husband stayed in the medical center overnight and experienced 7 more episodes, It was decided he would be medically disembarked in Antiqua the next morning and taken to the hospital. We were told that an appointment had already been made with a cardiologist at the hospital for another patient that had decided not to get off the ship, so my husband would be seen quickly.

I asked what would happen, how things would work out getting off the ship and was told that a Port agent would be informed and assist with everything the next morning. We spent the night packing everything up and early the next morning went back to the medical center and again asked when would I see the port agent. I was told to go to see the Immigration officials on the ship and then go straight back to the medical center, when I got back it was to find my husband had already been transported to the hospital by Ambulance. I asked for the name of the Hospital and was told they did not know but the port agent would help me, we asked where the port agent was and I was informed that the port agent would be just at the bottom of the gang plank as we left the ship. . I was given a bill for the medical center and asked to pay $2888.53, my credit card was swiped once and swiped again and I was told it had been declined, I was a little puzzled they asked for another credit card and swiped again and again told me that card had also been declined, it was obvious at that point it was not my cards. Someone from customer service arrived and escorted us upstairs to pay with yet another credit card as both my previous credit cards had now been blocked by the credit card companies for possible fraud and In my distressed state I was struggling to get my cell phone working to call the credit card companies. My sister requested help with our many cases and carry on bags at the customer service desk so we could leave the ship quickly and find the hospital and we informed rather briskly " If you decide to get off the ship we do not help with your cases" my sister demanded to speak with someone else and they then sent a member of staff to help with the cases but only to the customer service desk area. We then had to struggle off the ship trying to get into packed elevators with all our luggage along with several thousand people who were also getting off the ship for the day. Not one member of staff helped in anyway until one man in a white boiler suit helped me down the last bit of the gang plank. We were now very stressed out as my husband had been in the hospital for nearly two hours on his own and were frantically looking for the port agent as that is where we had been told he would be but when we questioned a staff member we were told there was no port agent there. We decided to walk and push all our cases down the pier, once out of the gate we spoke with a security guard and explained what had happened, asking if they could tell us where to get a cab and if they knew what the hospital was called where my husband might have been taken too.

We were told to wait and she rushed off and a little while later reappeared with the Port agent, we recognized him immediately as we had seen him at the immigration meeting assisting another guest, who we later found out also had a family member disembarked for medical reasons. The port agent informed us that at no time had Princess informed him that there was a second person being medically disembarked or another family that needed assisting with the disembarking the ship.

Cabin Review

8 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Sky Princess Cruise from $474

Any Month

Get special cruise deals, expert advice, insider tips and more.By proceeding, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.