Viking Venus Review

Review for the Baltic Sea Cruise on Viking Venus
Shaporama
2-5 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Jan 2024

Well, we are back from our Viking “Search for the Northern Lights” cruise and as I had promised to provide a description of this trip, I thought I had better do so before my memory fails me. In brief, it was a very memorable journey and one that we do not regret having taken, despite numerous challenges presented by the January weather in that part of the world.

Our vacation got off to an inauspicious start when on the morning of our departure from San Francisco we learned that our Swiss Air flight to Zurich was delayed by at least 2 hours due to weather over Central Europe which would have made it nearly impossible to make our connecting flights to Frankfurt, then on to Bergen, Norway where we were to meet the ship. I will not bore you with the details, but I will never fly Swiss again as they were not at all helpful arranging a re-booking. After a very stressful morning we finally landed seats on a United flight to Frankfurt, and then made the rest of our connection to Bergen.

Bergen was, as advertised, lovely, but very rainy though it was warmer (around 40 degrees) than we had expected. The weather again interrupted our plans when we embarked on our one-day “Norway in a Nutshell” tour of the fjords. The 2-hour fjord ferry ride was spectacular, the winter landscape made the scenery even more auspicious. However, the next leg of the that tour - a ride on the scenic Flam railway - had to be cancelled due to avalanche threat. We were instead bussed back to our next stop. Despite that glitch, it was a terrific day trip and we did not regret a thing.

Port Reviews

Alta

Small town, but very modern and some nice amenities. The Northern Lights Cathedral is not to be missed.

5 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Viking Venus Cruise from $3,599

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.