Silver Dawn Review

6-10 Cruises • Age 40s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Nov 2023

My husband and I were on the Barcelona to Lisbon cruise. I wanted to provide feedback from two millennials (not generally Silversea's passenger profile) for other millennials. I do want to give you some background on us though. My husband I are both Floridians and as such we often associate cruises with people wearing jorts, anchor-themed shirts, raving about 24 hour glutinous buffets. So I resisted going on a cruise.

My husband finally convinced me to take a cruise, after a decade of trying, on Crystal. We were, as fate would have it, on their last cruise before it went into bankruptcy. I was "Crystalized" meaning I immediately fell in love with Crystal. After Crystal went into bankruptcy, we tried other brands: Regent, Seabourn, Celebrity and finally, Silversea, looking for a "new home". Regent was wonderful but fell short of Crystal. Seabourn was fun but hardly in the same category as Regent or Crystal. Celebrity was far too large for me. We were hesitant to try Silversea as we'd heard it was stodgy and far too formal, a cruise line stuck in amber from a different decade.

Nothing could have been further from the truth. Silversea did almost everything right. The food, on average, exceeded Crystal's food which I found shocking and while Dawn was not as visually stunning as Regent Splendor, it had an undeniable charm. The crew were Crystal-level amazing. Esther in the Silver Note was incredibly engaging with passengers both in the restaurant and out of the restaurant. She would go out of her way to speak to passengers even on her "off time". Vern at Dulce Vita could give college classes on bartending and interacting with guests. Even if you were in a bad mood, Vern had you smiling in seconds. As an side, on our first day, I told him "please don't call me Sir. My name is fine". He never forgot and always called out "hey!" I loved it. The cruise director Ray Perez was incredibly engaging and everywhere all of the time. Marina at the future cruise desk, Gabriel at the customer relations desk, our butler etc., were all just like the staff at Crystal and I mean that as the highest possible compliment.

We upgraded our suite on board from deck 5 to deck 11. The room was lovely but not as nice as Regent Splendor. Also the bathroom had one massive horse trough of a sink rather than a double vanity which I found perplexing.

3 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Silver Dawn Cruise from $5,700

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.