Azamara Journey Review

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2023
Traveled with children

This was my second cruise with Azamara and, booking very early, I landed a suite as a solo and "what a difference a suite makes." First time was in a veranda cabin -- not bad, aside from the notorious shower, but very small. The suite is essentially twice the size, the bathroom much bigger and the veranda wonderful. The butler was a joy to know, attentive, friendly, just great. Also, dining in the two specialty restaurants is included and as a consequence, I ate in the main dining room only twice -- first meal very good, second not so much. Both specialty restaurants are wonderful and the staff super welcoming. I had almost everything on the menu and was never disappointed.

The cruise itinerary was Middle East exclusively after departing Athens. Given the situation there, we were all wondering if ports would be dropped, or the whole itinerary changed, but it came off well. The one stop in Israel, of course, had already been dropped, but the replacement was two stops, one in Egypt, the other in Oman. Originally there were to be six consecutive at sea days, but with the change it was four, then a stop, and one more. I like at sea days, but six in a row would have been a lot. The excursions were all well planned and enjoyable, some more than others. Petra was the highlight for me and, given all the cancellations on other lines, we almost had it to ourselves. Normally, there are 10K people squeezing their way through the siq. We had 1500. I've travelled a lot of places, but the trip to Petra stands out for sure.

Life on board the ship was great too. As I experienced the first time, staff members on these ships are almost universally outstanding in terms of service and attitude. You get the feeling that they are very happy to be there. The captain was fantastic -- witty, engaging, and accessible, which was true of all the officers. The Azamazing evening was lovely and the White Party great fun,

Port Reviews

Aqaba (Petra)

Amazing experience. Wonderful guide. Loved Jordan.

Dubai

Not to my taste. Basically a monument to conspicuous consumption.

Muscat

Beautiful city with welcoming people. The Mosque is astounding.

Safaga

Amazing sights, but a long slog getting there and back. Going was fine as the Red Desert is beautiful but coming back took a very long time.

Salalah

Many people didn't like this port, but I did. The countryside is lovely and we saw two beautiful beaches.

Suez Canal

The transit was amazing.

5 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an Azamara Journey Cruise from $618

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.