Anthem of the Seas Review

Third time on Anthem - and she still has the charm

Review for the Southern Caribbean Cruise on Anthem of the Seas
northernvirginiamimi
First Time Cruiser • Age 60s

Sail Date: Jan 2024

We cruised with family - three couples. We loved the ship - our third time on Anthem! The good things: lots of activities and things to do on the ship: pickle ball, bumper cars, roller skating! Escape Room, i Fly, and the Northstar! The entertainment is first rate: Iconic band was extraordinary - there was not one song played that did not sound like the original artist - and they have nice banter with the audience (Amazing!) Ship is maintained very well. The entertainment in the theater was hit or miss - since they never change their main show this was our third time watching "We Will Rock You!" It is so well done: this particular team was above, above fabulous: Broadway quality! I wanted to like Katie - our cruise director but she just wasn't as much fun as usual. She did fine, but her spiel seemed very rote - rehearsed - Did you have a good dayt? Yes or Yes?! Yes. No interaction, all perfectly written and regurgitated each cruise. The pool areas are perpetually overcrowded but you could get in when the crowds died down - and we were able to get in the hot tub with little wait. But on this cruise even the dining rooms seem packed too tightly - Schooner Bar you cannot get a seat - Music Hall ditto - always a struggle to get a seat.

The food - it has certainly suffered since the pandemic. My first night I always get the prime rib - it was awful. Gristle in a prime rib? I couldn't even cut it with their steak knife! That was not a good start to dining, but for the most part the food was palatable - just limited selections to choose from - a few nights they had nothing I wanted to eat. But the dining room staff made up for the crowded feel - we had the MOST AMAZING Assistant Waiter at our table 446 in the Silk Dining Room - his name is NARDITO - and he made going to dinner each night such a pleasure. Usually Assistant Waiters barely get noticed - but he was always there when we needed something - he chatted with us as if he had nothing else to do - and somehow managed to serve everyone perfectly - water glasses always filled - drinks brought to us without asking - he watched and made sure we had more bread/butter - coffee - he was the best we've ever had - and this was our 12th cruise! He also truly enjoyed the "dances" the waiters now have to do to entertain us with, always smiling and so polite. We all adored him. It is my first night off the ship and I truly miss our dinner banter!! Thank you, Nardito! Our main waiter, Mathew made sure we always had everything we needed - and responded to several special requests - and we had quite a few at our table. As a team we were well served - but Nardito really stood out amongst them all.

Port Reviews

Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

This is a very easy port to get to, and park at. At $30 a day, it is expensive - $330 for our eleven night cruise. But the parking is covered in a secure parking garage - I've never come back and found any problems with my car.

2 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an Anthem of the Seas Cruise from $200

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.