Norwegian Star Review

Epic scenery, fantastic staff, a lovely ship and just a brilliant time.

Review for South America Cruise on Norwegian Star
Happy Cruiser 1983
First Time Cruiser • Age 40s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Jan 2024
Cabin: Mini-Suite with Balcony

So, first time cruiser here so I have little point of reference. But, I had an absolutely brilliant time with my father on this voyage of a life time to the utterly amazing Patagonia and Antarctica (sorry if this is a bit long).

Embarkation - so easy. It took around 45 mins to arriving at bag drop off to sitting by the pool with a beer in my hand. At all points there seemed to be forward progress and no hanging around. Very impressed.

The Ship - I keep reading that it's an old ship. Well, I really couldn't tell. The Star was absolutely pristine and well looked after. I'll go into more details below on the various areas but it was a fantastic place to spend some time for a couple of weeks. The food, drink and entertainment options were very good and plentiful. It was an easy ship to navigate and I was extremely impressed with the crew's skill performing manoeuvres to maximise our viewing pleasure down in Antarctica and Elephant Island.

Mini-Suite with Balcony

We had a port side, forward Club Balcony Suite. I selected it because I reasoned Port Side was probably best to enjoy early morning arrivals at places like Antarctica and the Beagle channel.

The room itself was very well thought out with tonnes of storage space (we had 2 suitcases, 2 holdalls and 2 ruck sacks). We had the beds laid out as singles and didn't feel the need to use the sofa bed as they were comfy and big enough for us. It meant the room felt really spacious having a sofa next too the balcony and in front of the TV and fridge. We didn't watch much TV but it was nice to have the option to chill out to film or sport (including NBA and Premier League football). The bathroom was spacious, the water hot and with good pressure. The air conditioning unit was effective with the option to set it up or down 4 levels from the main ship temperature (with a cooling boost button as well). Our cabin attendant was great, keeping coffee and tea well supplied (you may have to ask for a machine). We also got a free laundry with our room and that proved useful. And, there were some nights snacks delivered as well (covered chocolates and cookies etc).

If I was travelling with a partner, probably a balcony cabin would be sufficient. But, as it was two people travelling and not sharing a bet the extra space of a Club Balcony Suite made all the difference. I didn't feel cocooned in a small room for 14 nights that's for sure.

So, very good overall and better than I expected.

6 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Norwegian Star Cruise from $535

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.