Explora I Review

johng75370
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Dec 2023

Much of the key points about the ship have been covered in other reviews and elsewhere, so I’ll skip highlighting how great the food and service were, and how poor the entertainment was. Here’s some other aspects that might help others in choosing if Explora is right for them.

Cabin: We were in an OT1 on deck 6 and it was great from both location and being calm and steady. The middle section of Deck 6 is a couple inches shorter than the rest of the ship, so the ceiling height was a bit lower in our cabin than others. Through travel agent friends onboard we got to tour through all types of cabins, and was surprised that the Residence cabins on higher decks and towards the ends had a lot of motion to them. Also thought it was strange that all cabins have the same small refrigerator; you would think larger cabins would get more fridge space! Overall we were very happy with the cabin, despite the steam fogging the mirror pretty badly (we think we were punked by previous guests who wrote things on the bathroom mirror that only showed up when it was fogged; kinda shocked us the first time we saw it!).

Food and Bev: Lobby Bar is way too small; it’s a great bar for meeting and chatting with fellow guests, but it being too small defeats that purpose. While most bartenders were great, there were a couple I came across who it seemed had never made cocktails before. I applaud the use of plant-based “mylk” but it seemed overboard – I like my bircher muesli with dairy, not plant-based, and that was not available (same with smoothies). But an impressive number of mylks – oat, soy, cashew, and almond. At least yogurt was available both as dairy and plant-based. As many ships seem to these days there were some provisioning issues (no lamb after a few days, no French chardonnay). Included wines were a bit lower end than we’ve seen on other all-inclusive lines, and revenue wines were more expensive – but we had no problem bringing wine on board and having it served properly by whichever restaurant we were at. Loved Anthology – questioned before if it would be worth it, but found it exceeded expectations. Will depend on who the chef is going forward of course, but Emma Bengstsson’s “restaurant” was amazing.

11 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an Explora I Cruise from $2,698

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.