Riviera Review

6-10 Cruises • Age 70s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2023
Cabin: Verandah Stateroom

Our first cruise with Oceania after enjoying cruises with Silver Seas, Holland America and Cunard. Food was generally excellent, but speciality restaurants need to be booked well in advance as large groups book in bulk. Buffet was certainly no better than our experiences with lower cost cruise lines. Recently refurbished balcony stateroom was very comfortable with a well designed and relatively spacious bathroom/ toilet. Embarkation/ disembarkation experiences were all good. However, the cruise did provide one particularly disappointing experience. Three days from the end of the 21 days cruise, I visited the Riviera's medical centre with a persistent but not particularly troublesome cough: the purpose of the vist was to ensure that I was not contagious to other passengers. I was examined by a nurse who opined that I had a non contagious, low level viral infection with a slightly elevated temperature and the condition should correct itself . A second nurse approached and said that I should not leave without undergoing some futher tests. The ship's doctor became involved and he stated that he could not prescribe a medication without those tests. I was in the medical centre for one hour and I was presented with an invoice for the amount of USD 1837.40, which included 10 gereric antibiotic tablets at a cost of USD 430.70 (available in the U.S. for considerably less than USD 5 per tablet). The antibiotic tablets were prescribed for pneumonia. However, four days later, I checked the pneumonia diagnosis with a medical centre in Greece. The verdict, no sign of pneumonia. I complained to the ship's Executive Concierge about the medical centre's invoice and I was advised to contact Oceania Cruises Guest Relations in Miami. I sent an email to Miami on 25 November and Oceania responded that "will do all we can to get back to you as soon as possible". I have heard nothing further. I can only assume that Oceania operates its medical centres as profit centres. Putting the medical centre experience aside, the senior crew members on Oceania Riviera did not seem to be as well focussed on customer relations relative to our experiences with other cruise lines e.g. passenger cocktail parties were somewhat obviously an irksome chore for some of the senior crew members.

Verandah Stateroom

8 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Riviera Cruise from $1,994

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.