Anthem of the Seas Review

10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Jan 2024

INTRODUCTION: I am 76 years old and my wife is 73. She is still able to use fitness machines and walk considerable distances while I am limited in physical activities and always walk with a cane. That being said, our main enjoyment on a cruise comes from the availability of fine dining, musical and other “passive” entertainment and use of the pool facilities.

We also enjoy touring places that have cultural, historical and scenic attractions. This was about our fifteenth cruise; frankly I’ve lost count. We live in NYC, and decided at the last minute that we wanted to get away, but didn’t want to travel on an airplane. We saw on a travel website that this ship was leaving for eleven days in two weeks out of the Port of NY/NJ. It was only a brief Uber ride away, seemed to fit our needs so we booked it. This is the first cruise we have taken with Royal Caribbean and will probably be the last. There is nothing horribly wrong with the ship; it is certainly spotlessly maintained, but it is simply not our style. The official Cruise Critic review describes it as an akin to a floating “Las Vegas hotel”. We are not gamblers, and only occasional drinkers so I had some reservations that this might not be a good fit. That proved to be correct. For us the ship was too big, too noisy, too crowded. The food was edible but not haute cuisine by any stretch of taste; the wait service very inconsistent ranging from excellent and attentive to abysmal. I fear we are not in their demographic for entertainment which seems geared toward 20 to 30 year olds. We’d been to all of the ports of call before so I wasn’t looking for touring on this cruise,and stayed on the ship. My wife got off at two stops to do a little shopping.

SUMMARY: the ship is very large, way too large for our taste; and very crowded. When everyone is on board on the days at sea; you really feel the crowds and the noise. Decks 4 and 5 resemble an indoor shopping mall during the height of pre-Christmas shopping season. The pools were way too crowded with decent lounges at a premium. The food was edible but not much more than that; with the exception of Jamie Oliver’s Italian, and the Izumi Japanese - both of which were very good and had wonderful service. Our experience at the steakhouse was so bad that we complained to the restaurants manager and were comped a free dinner at the Italian restaurant.

Our cabin was located aft and just around the corner from the casino and also conveniently near the rear bank of elevators. We did not hear any noise from the casino or smell any smoke. The cabin was roomy enough for two people, although it is set up to accommodate four. It was kept clean and comfortable at all times. One advantage of a cabin on a lower deck is you do not feel the ship pitching as much as on the upper decks which is an advantage while in the North Atlantic in winter.

5 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an Anthem of the Seas Cruise from $200

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.