Norwegian Sun Review

10+ Cruises • Age 80s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Jan 2024
Cabin: Oceanview Picture Window

The crew were excellent. Most of the entertainment in the theatre were your dancers and singers Most cruise lines are reducing the levels of service and amenities provided. NCL has taken this to the extreme. There are no toiletries; no bath gowns; no chocolate on the pillow at turn-down. In fact they have no turn-down service at all. Dirty towels remain on the floor until the next day (often the afternoon.) If you wish to remove the service charges ($20 per diem) you cannot do this until 3 days before the cruise ends. Why? They have forms for this express purpose. I prefer to show my gratitude to individuals whom I have direct contact with. In the 2 main restaurants there is a card on the tables; “Nobody does dining like Norwegian.” I would like to add; “Thank goodness.” There is a very annoying method of service at breakfast. When you place your order the waiter brings your cereal, fruit, yoghurts etc and your hot dish at the same time. I queried this with the maitre d’ and was told that this was their standard practice. In general the food is of poor quality. I had a meal in Cagney’s their specialty steak restaurant. I ordered prime rib. It was served warm. Tito ordered a rib eye steak. It had been cut in half and was cold. Not what you expect in a restaurant with premium charges. Later I mention the shuttle service at Pisco. Every other cruise line that I have travelled on take you to the town and do not abandon you at the dock gates where there are no facilities at all except taxis. This port is in a desert devoid of habitation. We have missed 2 ports but the port charges have not been reimbursed. I enquired at Guest Relations the day before we arrived. I was told that Miami had to authorise the payment. Every other cruise line does it on the day of cancellation. .Leaving the ship we were obliged to take a half mile walk to the dock gate as no shuttle bus was provided. This when it could have been a 200 yard walk alongside the ship to the gate. Absolutely no regard whatsoever for the passengers. We docked today in San Antonio later than scheduled on my 82nd birthday. I lost my internet service a day early. I had saved minutes expressly to be able to check any last minute changes. Thanks NCL! I eventually debarked 2 hours late. You had to see the baggage transfer to believe it. It was brought 20 to 30 at a time by pick-up truck to the terminal. It was then scanned and placed in colour coded lines. There drug dogs went up and down to check. I asked why the dogs were not at the end of the scanner to expedite the process. No reply! I emailed NCL requeting a refund of port charges. Their response was that it is not thei policy to refund port taxes.

Oceanview Picture Window

A smaller than usual cabin with no turndown service.

8 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Norwegian Sun Cruise from $79

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.