Viking Mississippi Review

Interesting, but far too expensive for what you get

Review for North America River Cruise on Viking Mississippi
Photo_Enthusiast
6-10 Cruises • Age 70s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2023
Cabin: Deluxe Veranda Stateroom

We had booked a cruise from the north to the south of France for May 2020 which, of course, was cancelled due to Covid. Viking offered a 20% bonus to leave the money with them and so we later applied the credit to the Mississippi cruise. Why? This is an area of the USA that we have never explored and as a professional photographer I thought I could capture images of places that are not well represented with agencies. The high cost ($11,000 each) was significantly more than other Viking Cruises we have taken and, to be honest, the service and the quality of the food on the boat didn't match what we have seen on those other cruises. I have written a series of articles about every day on the boat covering the tours we decided to take as I thought that would help us revisit memories of the cruise and also help those thinking about taking the cruise. I can't link to them here, but search for Backyard Image website and you will find the articles.

The passengers are older than the average on Viking. I'm over 70 and felt like a youngster, especially when you are waiting to get off the coaches. The tours are also heavily coach based, although I did the walking tour of Baton Rouge which was very interesting, and also found a place in Davenport, Iowa where you could borrow a great bicycle and take your own tour on the bike paths in the area, but almost all the others were mainly a coach to somewhere and sometimes some time to explore!

The weather was also great throughout the entire cruise (in mid October). That is important, because I think you could be quite miserable if you were looking out at rainy days as you cruise down a relatively boring river.

Deluxe Veranda Stateroom

Nice cabin - very similar to the ocean cabins

4 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Viking Mississippi Cruise from $3,499

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.