Riviera Review

Trekker Dude
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Nov 2023

We're seasoned cruisers with over 30 cruises on most of the major cruiselines but not Oceania. We went on 3 Oceania Riviera cruises in 2023, Sep/Oct from Amsterdam to Barcelona and then back to back cruises in Nov/Dec from Barcelona to Istanbul and then Istanbul to Dubai. My review is on all 3 cruises on the same ship.

We booked the Holyland & Middle East cruise the first day it was available for booking and the itinerary was the reason we booked this cruise. Since the war broke out the itinerary changed 3 times, it became a Mediterranean & UAE cruise. Initially Oceania let 2/3 of the guests to cancel with future cruise vouchers but then they abruptly stopped doing that. I'm most disappointed and frustrated when I found out that MSC offered my friend the options of changing to a future cruise or a full refund when the same ports as ours were cancelled as a result of the war. I understand that it is stated in the cruise contract that Oceania has the right to change itinerary if necessary but if MSC could be so generous to offer a full refund to all of their thousands of guests why couldn't Oceania offer future cruise vouchers to the less than 500 remaining guests. That was very shortsighted business decision by Oceania. They failed to understand that such goodwill gesture will show that they care about their guests when in emergency or crisis situations. Now I won't book with them again as I can't count on them to look after my interests in other unforeseen circumstances.

As for the onboard experience there were hits and misses:

8 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Riviera Cruise from $2,349

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.