Viking Orion Review

VERY casual cruise with multiple options for Activity on shore and/or simple relaxation

Review for Australia & New Zealand Cruise on Viking Orion
Cisterna
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Jan 2024

HUGE Fan of Ocean cruising - however the older I get, the smaller the ship! I do not want to travel with children , (will take grandkids on Disney and love kids there), appreciate a contemporary ship with quiet elegence,, do NOT like snobbery, expect decent food, expect excellent service, friendly staff and my choice for paying extra for a beverage package. I also want an excursion at every port, and expect a variety of enhanced excursions for a price. After 45+ cruises, expeditions, and river , I do not want to play dress up- but appreciate business or resort casual. Entertainment is subjective, and Viking offers a nice variety. Lecturers are plentiful - albeit very dry ( except Dr. Alan the astronomy / science lecturer).

Viking Ocean fills these requirements

Many choices for dining - food is good , but not GREAT, except Chef's Table is truly excellent. Cooking classes in sea days are an on ship excursion that you must ask for atguest services.The price is $60-70 per persn , but if you have a fun group it is an great daytime activity. Wine and liquor tasting activities are educational and a great activity to pass th time, again you must inquire at guest services- they fill up fast and sell out!

Great space on my preferred floor. This floor has hinged vs. sliding door to balcony but , I am a light sleeper and do not want public spaces above me. I also love the elevator and stair case choices that are close and very convenient. The laundry is on the opposite side so you do not get passenger traffic from those using the laundry. Closet space is fantatic, andfhuge (60") suitcases fit undder the bed. Bathroom is very workable, great shelving and nice size shower ( I am a 5'8" size 14 woman and my husband is 6'5" and comfortable in theshower. Great water pressure. My favorite feature is the built in make-up desk that is hidden in the large desk perpendicular to the bed! Bed is a little hard and if you need an egg crate ask for it! They happily oblige and then the bed is cozy!

Port Reviews

Sydney (Australia)

I picked this cruise because I thought we would be docked in the main Quay we were docked at White Bay - not at Sydney main Quay - Very dissappointing. It is a container port used by smaller ships, such as Viking. You must take a bus to get to Darling Harbor and then transfer or walk to the Quay where the bridge and the Opera House are. The bus was not on a schedule and the last one returning to the ship was at 9:00 pm (friom Darling Harbor) so you had to get there or take an Uber Back., We were at a at the Opera House so had to Uber there and back! Also Our itinerary was to dock at Melbourne and we did not ! We were taken to GEELONG BAY! Vey upsetting - had to cancel our meeting with friends and an independent tour! Viking was sneaky and didn't tell us about any of these changes until on month before our departure - too late to cancel!

3 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Viking Orion Cruise from $4,849

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.