Avalon Vista Review

-- / 5.0
Editor Rating

Crew 5 stars! The Vista ship itself sadly would only give it 2 or 3 stars at best

Review for Europe River Cruise on Avalon Vista
rosepetalsbeck
First Time Cruiser • Age 40s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Jun 2023
Cabin: Deluxe Stateroom with Window

Let me just say the crew deserves 6 stars, they were all phenomenal! Buffet breakfasts and lunches were terrific, omelet maker Ridho I believe his name was had the best smile everyone morning and was a pure joy to be around. He literally made my day start off on the best note and I would gladly sail on the Avalon Vista again if I knew he was going to still be there, he was that great! By the 2nd day he had my omelet liking down to a T. Dinners were I would just say average. One night my steak was rare and bloody when I asked for medium. They redid it and it came out well done so had to make it a 3rd time which was finally right but everyone else at our table of 10 had already finished dinner by that time. The itinerary and excursions were phenomenal! I did everyone one except one dinner that was 5 star optional excursion. The ship however I wish I would have researched beforehand is older. The cruise director had mentioned it was remodeled during covid downtown but I'm guessing maybe just decor not actual technical functions. We cruised down the Rhine June 2023. First day Amsterdam upon boarding was great, 2nd day our cabin had horrific sewer smell. I let the Front Desk know who said they would send engineering to look into it. Later in day after excursion I asked them the result and they said they couldn't find any issues so might just be where we were docked and smell would probably leave when we left port. Sure enough cruising smell went away, then docked at Cologne, smell was back strong! Very unpleasant, again advised front desk and this time cruise director as well. Engineering checked it out same result. Few days later docked and same smell, had engineering come again 3rd time and later was told they changed the filters in the air vents. Not sure if that really helped but ok. These windows do not open so we dealt with smell best we could.

Last 2 days on board including Gala night the AC in restaurant and lounge was not working at all. My phone read the temp as 85 degrees in restaurant at our table during gala night. We all had sweat dripping from our foreheads eating dinner. Miserable. Felt so sorry for wait staff because they are running around serving us and you could tell were all sweating profusely but keeping smiles on their faces and doing the best they could. I asked Front desk what was going on with AC and they said it couldn't keep up so it was either have AC working in cabins or in restaurant it couldn't do both. Glad we had AC in cabins at least! The ship needs much needed work and i would gladly sail with that amazing wonderful crew again but not until the ship gets much needed technical repairs.

Deluxe Stateroom with Window

1 Helpful Vote
next review

Find an Avalon Vista Cruise from $2,799

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.