Noordam Review

2-5 Cruises • Age 30s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Jan 2024

I'm not normally someone to complain and I generally try to approach things with empathy but I was so disappointed by this cruise.

First of all, we booked my parents (aged 65-70) an accessibility room which was not at all accessible. The cruise line refused any type of compensation even though one of the staff suggested they fight for it. At 6'5 My father couldn't even fit on the bed and my mum had to crawl over the bed and him to get out because when the two singles were pushed together there was no room to move and had 2 days without hot water. It was their first time ever cruising and the whole situation was degrading. After being told that Holland America was a more high end cruise line, I honestly think my parents would have been better off with P&O. Not to mention the lack of any communication or warning prior to the cruise about the $16USD per person daily service fee and 18% surcharge on anything purchased onboard. As Australians sailing in Australian waters, it was a complete shock to have everything USD and would have been appreciated had it been communicated prior.

The food was average and repetitive unless you were willing to pay more to dine at the specialty restaurant, one of which was in the buffet area. The only time worth buying any type of alcohol if you hadnt signed up for the outrageously priced drink package at ($65USD+ per person per day) was during happy hour but there was a lack of consistency in the bars and drinks offered at the discount. The shore packages were marked up considerably and if you were not doing those often you were stuck with very little options on port days and given conflicting information. The entertainment was limited - games nights were less than half an hour long, bingo was over priced and boring, the art auction was ridiculous having a $71,000 painting during a $500 and under auction. Literally the only thing I can commend is the service staff, they were lovely and personable, funny and kind (other than the guest services but I'd overheard a lot of guests being unhappy so perhaps they copped a lot of complaints).

8 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Noordam Cruise from $261

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.